Repair or replace or do without?

• 11 Replies

Paul Plots

Repair or replace or do without?
« on: May 10, 2017, 00:41 »
What do you think?

The year before last my trusty (?) old Alko garden shredder wouldn't start.

I identified the problem as a broken nylon/plastic component - part of the on/off safety switch. 
I've found a firm who might be able to get a replacement part and fit it for me but they are miles away and the repair is not a certainty - they would need to see the machine first. The cost of repair is about equal to the cost of a new cheap shredder.

Would you go for a new one or try to get the old, metal bodied machine repaired?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

LILLILEAF

Re: Repair or replace or do without?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:40 »
Hi
The question is do you like your trusty shredder machine?,how many years have you had it?,with trouble free work?,if it was mine i would go for the repair,good  steel not plastic are made to last.
Most new machines do not last and the build quality is not what it was,yes i am talking the good old days.
But at the end of the day its your choice.Lillileaf

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:33 »
Thanks for your reply LILLILEAF.

I think I was hoping someone would confirm what have been thinking.

I love the old machine - the blades are double-sided, easily sharpened and cheap enough to replace. The machine rarely clogs and when it does it is a quick and simple matter to clear it.

I've had the machine for way more than 6 years (maybe 10) and it has never broken down. It copes with tons of twigs, soft vegetation and all the shrub prunings you can throw at it several times a year.

It's a bit heavy to move but I've added a couple of wheels to help overcome that.

Disadvantage - I don't drive so transporting the machine to the repair company out in the wilds of Sussex isn't straight-forward.... but worth trying to solve and then fingers crossed it'll be worth it.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:10 »
If you know what's broken and you can get a spare part Id fix it. All the new cheaper stuff get slated for not being up to the job and if you're happy with the performance of your current splashing out (£80) on even the budget  models may not get you anything as good.

I've been sitting on the fence about buying one all week as I have a lot of shrub/branchy type clearing to do at Mother Lards which would either mean hours with loppers or lots of trips to the tip  >:(

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:06 »
Repair on mine - cannot get individual parts so need to see if a whole electric start unit can be sourced at about £140 which seems very dear BUT the machine is solid, motor good, easy to source new blades (problems with blades for many new models), I know how it works and how well it works.

So... I will ignore the £80 new versions and the posh job branded varieties at a few hundred... and try to arrange for my son to deliver it to the repair chap miles out in the country-side hoping they can do what they said they should be able to do.... Worth a try.

I had looked at the "quiet" models that use a sort of cogged/toothed cutting system but they are very expensive, I've no idea about blade sharpening or replacement and not sure the shreddings could be used directly on the ground as a mulch in flower-beds (as we sometimes do).

Generally a good shredder does help speedy composting, dispose of woody material, avoid bonfires and trips to the tip as well as make use of good organic matter. If only they didn't cost so much or break down once in a while.  ::)

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49 »
There is one on ebay that looks good at £30 bid , trouble is it's Yorkshire pick up !

If it was local to me i would have it myself !

They are great shredders and brilliant for fluffing up bagged compost for greenhouse veg !

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 13:30 »
I've been out bid on a couple of the Bosh's lately  :mad: and things are getting pressing; so bought the cheap and cheerful one from screwfix this morning.  I expect I'll be swearing about it later today.

What's the model number Paul - 8doubles is right it might be cheaper to buy a second unit from ebay, there's always something like shiply to get it delivered to you.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 13:40 »
There are several alko shredder chippers on ebay all around £20-30 .

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 01:19 »
There are several alko shredder chippers on ebay all around £20-30 .

Thanks - I'll have a look. Maybe I can find one with the same on/off cut-out and swap it onto my machine.

I'm always a bit hesitant buying tools though ebay - can't test before hand and hard to return for refund especially if 2nd hand.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:24 by Paul Plots »

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:23 »
I've been out bid on a couple of the Bosh's lately  :mad: and things are getting pressing; so bought the cheap and cheerful one from screwfix this morning.  I expect I'll be swearing about it later today.

What's the model number Paul - 8doubles is right it might be cheaper to buy a second unit from ebay, there's always something like shiply to get it delivered to you.

I looked at both B&Q and Screw-fix models and seriously consider it but not sure how easy it would be to find replacement blades. :( The machine looks as if it'll perform reasonably - I read several reviews.

I'd love to know how you get on with it.

Model number of my machine.... I'd need to check but it's a Dynamic something or other.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:26 by Paul Plots »

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 19:01 »
It's a bit cheap ... crossed thread on the leg bolts, the wheels are a joke and the plunger feels hollow.

Performance wise it made short work of the yard of forsythia Id left piled on the patio, shredding it down to 2 grass boxes full in less than 30mins.  It didn't like the twiggy bits but I suspect that's me trying to stuff bits into the neck which didn't reach the blades, when I pushed them down with a stick all was good.

Blades appear to be like hens teeth, the web says they are 64mm x 24mm/ 10mm holes at 35mm centres, I'll keep an eye out for other machines which take the same, but it doesn't look good.

I'd consider it more of a 'tool to do the job' rather than a keeper.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 16:45 »
It's a bit cheap ... crossed thread on the leg bolts, the wheels are a joke and the plunger feels hollow.

Performance wise it made short work of the yard of forsythia Id left piled on the patio, shredding it down to 2 grass boxes full in less than 30mins.  It didn't like the twiggy bits but I suspect that's me trying to stuff bits into the neck which didn't reach the blades, when I pushed them down with a stick all was good.

Blades appear to be like hens teeth, the web says they are 64mm x 24mm/ 10mm holes at 35mm centres, I'll keep an eye out for other machines which take the same, but it doesn't look good.

I'd consider it more of a 'tool to do the job' rather than a keeper.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

I think you are right about the machine doing the job but not a keeper. For the price it's not bad. I found that Screw-fix were selling blades but only in Ireland :( Not sure if it is / was possible to order online and ship to UK.

Presently I'm still dithering - reliant upon my son for transport to company that may be able to repair old machine. My old machine is deep at the back of our work-shop behind my son's equipment / tools and timber.

Patience.

xx
diy Repair

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 13:56
by joyfull
xx
Replace Ryobi pull cord

Started by aubergine on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 20:20
by aubergine
clip
Repair of polytunnel

Started by StarterKay on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 30, 2024, 16:57
by rowlandwells
xx
How to repair a run down shed

Started by Steerpike on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 18:58
by apywell

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 35 queries.