Hens on grass

• 5 Replies

viettaclark

Hens on grass
« on: March 29, 2011, 19:31 »
I had a blinding flash of reasoning today. 8)
When we got our girls 2 years ago I had them on the lawn with their large covered run and moved them about every week or two so the grass could regrow. They were out all afternoon/evening but there was still alot of damage done to the area in the coop (still got a couple of bare patches!) They also had a go at eating anything green which meant attractive chicken wire all over the place.
Since last Summer they have been down the bottom of the garden under the trees (which is a pain going up and down when it's wet/icy) on a leaf litter and earth base which I top up with bark.
This has worked really well! I only move them every 3/4 months (to rest the soil) because it doesn't get mucky/smelly and they have a fine time scratching in the dirt and leaves and doing no damage.
I have found that because they aren't on grass that's the first thing they want to eat when they get out.(And eat and eat and eat...) There are also plenty of home-grown greens for them. I tried removing the chicken wire and my plants have remained unpecked and my grass is nicely mowed!
Of course it might be due to them growing up a bit....
Hmmm....just noticed they've razed a pot of foxgloves. Maybe they're gearing up for a mad assault.. :ohmy:

jinty1911

Re: Hens on grass
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 19:43 »
I have decided to stick to hanging backets this year, if I even bother.  Prefer to sit in garden and watch the chooks and climbing over chicken wire to water said baskets  doesn't appeal at the moment.  Anyway who needs flowers when who have pretty chicks to look at?  :lol:  :lol:

evie2

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 19:51 »
I like to think our chooks are helping with the redesigning of our garden  ::):lol: 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 20:48 »
viettaclark

can you not place hard cage wire on the bottem of the run thus preventing hens from scratching grass up but still letting them eat ??
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 23:00 »
I think this arrangement suits us all! The girls love to dig and can, to their hearts' content, and I get more space on the chicken-mowed lawn to sit and enjoy them and less chicken wire to look at/reconnoiter!
Still got it round the veg though....

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 18:09 »
In their natural environment chooks live on the forest floor so they should be very happy indeed :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Will my soon to be Hens eat my moss in my grass?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 08:57
by MrTwang
xx
Feeding Grass To Hens

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 13:49
by Jeanette
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 38 queries.