Onions from seed - 2014

• 353 Replies

bravemurphy

Re: Onions from seed - 2014
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2014, 23:19 »
Mine are out pics to follow if they survive  :)

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #286 on: April 17, 2014, 16:52 »
So, what is the general consensus regards planting the onion seedlings into the prepared soil? Is it dibbing an appropriate size hole at regular intervals across the garden/allotment and placing a single onion seedling into each and then gentle filling the hole with soil? Or is it making several drills across the garden/allotment and placing a single onion seedling at regular intervals within the drills before gentle back-filling the individual drills? Thanks. My first season with onion seedlings. Previous seasons I've always planted onion sets. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2014, 17:08 »
I plant mine out about an inch deep in holes made with my handy finger-dibber, and then just firm lightly around them - don't think it matters what technique you use as long as you don't bury them too deeply.

++++++++++++

As far as my seedlings are concerned, it's been hard work this year - only 25% of the year-old Ailsa Craig seed sowed neatly at 1" intervals germinated, and only a few of the rest of the packet I threw in rather impatiently, so I now have about 10 biro-refill Ailsa Craig seedlings, and plenty of Roja de Niort (25p emergency buy from Lidl - germinated well but probably fair to say they haven't got enough bulk to topple over even if they wanted to at this stage!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2014, 17:34 »
Plant them out at same level they are in the compost.

Totty

gobs

« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2014, 22:51 »
So, what is the general consensus regards planting the onion seedlings into the prepared soil? Is it dibbing an appropriate size hole at regular intervals across the garden/allotment and placing a single onion seedling into each and then gentle filling the hole with soil? Or is it making several drills across the garden/allotment and placing a single onion seedling at regular intervals within the drills before gentle back-filling the individual drills? Thanks. My first season with onion seedlings. Previous seasons I've always planted onion sets.

I am dibbing, however so they say it compacts the soil for the roots to penetrate. I just ignore this piece of advice as I can't be asked to drill on my clay.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2014, 17:03 »
Just found this thread.  I planted Santeros back in February I think, my diary may be more accurate.  I planted 58 tidddly onions out yesterday at my big Lottie.  I sowed Red Baron seeds at the beginning of this month and have just potted on those seedlings into a modular tray this afternoon - well it is raining.  I have 24 of those. These will join the the others when they are big enough.  Currently resisting in the open cold frame.  I have not grown Red Baron or any other big red onion from seed before only the red spring onion.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2014, 19:03 »
Lulu, Red Baron grew well for me last year, so I hope yours do you proud.

First lot of my seedlings are out, but under fleece as I was worried about the hailstones forecast... the singly sown ones. I hope to plant the multiple sown ones out this week coming. I kept them under cover in the garden today so they didn't get bashed to pieces, thank goodness.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

wighty

« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2014, 16:20 »
Planted my rather poor specimens out today, 100 Bedford Champs.  Fleeced and netted as next door has four cats and they seem to like my garden. ::)  Hopefully something will come of them, it's my first attempt from seed.

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #293 on: April 21, 2014, 21:33 »
Here's an update from me - you will see in previous posts in this thread that I'd sown 2 lost of seeds. One in modules and transplanted to bigger modules, the other in a large plot and left to grow (not transplanted). My seeds grown in the pot are by far the best. Those transplanted are smaller and I hated transplanting them!!

Today I planted those sown in the pots into the allotment. I removed the onions from the pot (the root ball was very healthy and well established) and stood the rootball/soil in water before teasing apart the plants. Here are some pics of the results. Overall I'm really pleased. The plants in the single pot were bigger, easier to handle and hardly any roots were broken as I teased the plants apart.

Obviously, over the longer term, those in the modules might do better - and I'll let you know how I get on. But so far, onion seeds sown in 1 big pot are the way to go from now on!!

Tomorrow, I'm planting out the seeds grown in modules and transplanted. I'll try to throw up some photos.

Dave

Durham-20140421-00267 (5).jpg
Durham-20140421-00269 (3).jpg

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2014, 20:20 »
I didn't  know about the hailstone warning and my poor Red Barons have taken a battering.  Flattened at the moment - but will leave them to pick themselves up.  We had a real proper thunderstorm - I have never seen rain come down like it.

rubberfrog

« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2014, 23:09 »
As promised, New shoot's onion seedling forest.  I think I may have overdone things here and not all of them may get planted out  :unsure:  :lol:

Would it be ok to trim the tops down a few inch if I am planning to plant out in a couple of weeks?

Thanks for the use of your pic, mine are at exactly the same stage.

RF
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:00 by rubberfrog »

Totty

« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2014, 07:57 »
Trimming seems to keep them more upright and sturdy.

Totty

rubberfrog

« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2014, 08:15 »
Tha'ts the problem I have got, they seem to be starting to fall over.  I trimmed some in the early days  of sowing and they look far sturdier and stronger.  Is it too late to trim now?

Totty

« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2014, 18:03 »
Depends on how far developed they are I reckon. If they are still quite spindly, therefore not supporting themselves either, you could probably give a trim.

Totty

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06 »
Mine went out yesterday  :D

Piccy in my diary if you want to see  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101081.msg1308633#msg1308633

xx
onions from seed 2014

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 13:48
by Dave NE
xx
Onions from seed

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:42
by AndyRVTR
xx
onions from seed

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 09:35
by JayG
xx
onions from seed

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 18:33
by DD.

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 40 queries.