Mareks Disease watching

• 9 Replies

Whitebeam

Mareks Disease watching
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:20 »
I brought my first batch of chickens in June and just as they were coming to the point of lay they started to get ill

Unfortunately 3 rare breed chickens over the past three months have died. We tried everything we could to save them several injections, probiotics, treated for coccidiosis, worming, providing antibiotics, fed porridge, growers pellets, live meal worms, nutri drops and after a couple of trips to the vets and several pounds spent we learnt that our chickens have mareks diseases.

The chicken which is showing signs at the moment has even been vaccinated against the disease but it must be a stronger strain -it is quite heart breaking to look at the chickens which are healthy and wonder whether they are going to make it and it is difficult to see the numbers of happy chicken dwindle away.

It feels like a very long waiting game……….!

A hobby which started as fun breaks my heart – if they all die should I get anymore or will it happen again?
 :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mareks Disease watching
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:26 »
when a bird is vaccinated against Mareks the vaccinations have to be carried out within a period of 1 hour from the vaccine being opened, failure to do so results in the vaccine being useless. Perhaps this is the case. Also there are more than one type of mareks and I am not sure the vaccine covers all. It is contagous so I would ask your vet whether you should cull the birds now rather than let them suffer. Has an autopsy been carried out on a bird to check it is mareks?. Also if a bird recovers they remain a possible risk to other birds that you may introduce.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Whitebeam

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:32 »
I am just waiting to see if the bird which is showing signs is definitely on her way and then we have decided to post mortem her to confirm the possibility of Mareks, although the vet has informed me that they can not 100% tell if it Mareks they will just be able to assess the signs of the diseases swollen liver etc

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:36 »
So sorry to hear about your birds. It is heartbreaking isn't it and no words can help you feel better at the moment. Please don't let this awfull incident put you off keeping birds in the future. Like all animals you have to face the facts they can and will get ill and old and subsequently end up losing them from our lives.
I'm at the moment battling a respitory infection going through my flock. Every morning I dread opening up the house in case I find a dead bird. I know when I do lose a bird my heart will break - I love them all so much so I can understand how bad you must be feeling.
I have had to get into my head I will one day say goodbye to my lovely birds, I've thought about it, accepted it is the way things just are and know that when the times comes I will replace my flock as I simply couldn't imagine NOT keeping chooks now. The good times and fun they bring are far outnumbered by the acceptance of losing birds eventually.
Chin up XX
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03 »
Whitebeam - have a chat with grumpy dad (you should be able to send him a pm) as he had this problem a couple of years ago (again from birds that were supposed to be vaccinated). He added more birds that were believed to be more resistant to this disease but they also contacted it. It left him with one bird that was obviously the carrier, but he was loathed to cull a happy and well bird so in the end (against my better judgement I might add) he got some hybrids to keep her company. Luckily they never contacted it and proved me wrong I am pleased to say so there is light at the end of the tunnel  :), xx

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09 »
here is his thread when it all kicked off:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=43618.0

Whitebeam

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:25 »
Thanks Joyfull - I have PM grumpy man

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30 »
hopefully he picks up his email soon, if not let me know and I will send him a text (assuming that his phone number is stilll the same), sadly I don't have my phone with me today or would do it now for you.
By the way he is far from grumpy  :lol:

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 19:07 »
phone still the same, dont go spoiling my grumpy image Joy !!!!!!.
lol, have sent an email back.
all 6 still going strong, still laying well too, if anyone is hesitant about hybrids, we have living proof that they can help when all else fails.
we would not be without them.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 19:19 »
Hiya Grumpy good to hear from you again and so glad you proved me wrong  :D.
Pleased you may be able to help by giving the benefit of your experience, you suffered a lot when you first got your birds but it all worked out in the end eventually  :)

xx
Mareks disease

Started by minniebantam on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 13:03
by hillfooter
xx
Help!!! Could it be Mareks disease?

Started by flocko on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 17:31
by cheekymouse
xx
Mareks disease or not?

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 22:22
by barley
xx
Someone knows Im watching my cholestorol!

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 10:19
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 40 queries.