Sick Vera....any advice?

• 21 Replies

joodith

Sick Vera....any advice?
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:12 »
I joined this forum a few minutes ago looking for answers to my poor sick girl, Vera.  She's about 18 months old and has always been free-range with her friend GP (Greedy Pig, as my husband calls her), but the more timid of the two.   On Monday she was fine, puttering away in the paddock while I sat and read my book, keeping a watchful eye out for Mr Fox; she sat in her dustbath, enjoying the warmth of the sun for a while, and then it was time for them to go back in their pen.  She went straight into her house, which was most unusual, as she'd usually stay out and play until dusk.  By Tuesday she was becoming lethargic and not interested in her treats. She has deteriorated through the week, becoming hunched and not sitting down. Her comb is pale pink and as she hasn't laid for about two weeks I thought she was eggbound, however yesterday I read about Sour Crop so proceeded accordingly. She produced a stream of stinky slime; she then ate a little warm mash and drank some fresh water, but has stayed in her house. Oh - I've also noticed her head, on either side of her comb is slightly swollen.
This morning her crop is empty, she's still hunched, and has taken only a couple of her favourite treats.....soft grapes.  When I cuddle her she's warm, her eyes are bright, but she's obviously not the Vera I know and love.
One chap who keeps chickens says to put her down, but although I don't like to think of her suffering, I don't want to be too hasty in case it's something simple that can be treated.  Has anyone out there got any advice?

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: Sick Vera....any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13 »
Yes, take her to the vets for a check up.
Alan

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:22 »
vets straight away at the moment she is suffering so therefor needs treating. She could have a broken egg inside her and will need antibiotics. What made you think she had sour crop? What did her breath smell like before you treated her?
Staffies are softer than you think.

joodith

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:27 »
vets straight away at the moment she is suffering so therefor needs treating. She could have a broken egg inside her and will need antibiotics. What made you think she had sour crop? What did her breath smell like before you treated her?

Hi Joyfull.....yes, her breath was smelly.  I have spoken to the vet and he 's reluctant to look at her.....says he doesn't "do" chickens!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:31 »
If he doesn't 'do' chickens, I would have a phone around for other vets in the area who aren't selective in their patient preferences and never use that vet again.
I would really encourage you to seek a vet for her, if she has been unwell for this amount of time, something is definitely wrong and won't go away on it's own accord.

Good luck with finding a decent vet - they are out there. Where abouts are you? Someone from this forum maybe local to you and can recommend a vet.

joodith

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36 »
If he doesn't 'do' chickens, I would have a phone around for other vets in the area who aren't selective in their patient preferences and never use that vet again.
I would really encourage you to seek a vet for her, if she has been unwell for this amount of time, something is definitely wrong and won't go away on it's own accord.

Good luck with finding a decent vet - they are out there. Where abouts are you? Someone from this forum maybe local to you and can recommend a vet.

Thanks Alan.....I'm in West Sussex near Halsemereand Godalming

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36 »

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39 »
Have you tried Woodland Veterinary Centre - http://www.woodlandvetcentre.co.uk/Surgery-Haslemere.html

They have information on their site about chicken keeping, so I assume they will treat chickens as well? I hope that isn't the one that said they don't do chickens?

joodith

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:28 »
Have you tried Woodland Veterinary Centre - http://www.woodlandvetcentre.co.uk/Surgery-Haslemere.html

They have information on their site about chicken keeping, so I assume they will treat chickens as well? I hope that isn't the one that said they don't do chickens?

Thank you both so much......I've just spoken to someone at the Woodland Vet Centre which is within striking distance, and they will see Vera later today.  Seems they are chicken friendly!
Thank you again.....I'll keep you posted.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:32 »
fingers crossed for her (and you)  :)

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:54 »
Hope it goes well, do let us know how she fairs.

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 15:02 »
Good Luck and keep us posted!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 18:48 »
How did you get on with Vera?

joodith

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 07:59 »
How did you get on with Vera?

Hello alancane....sorry for the delay. When I got the vet with Vera there was an emergency so she couldn't be seen! So had to bring her home and cope the best I could. I've had her in a box in the house all weekend, sitting on a towel wrapped round a hot water bottle; she's taken a little yogurt,  mashed hard boiled egg and water.  The swelling on her head seems to have gone down, but her crop is really enllarged and squishy, and there's an occasional bubbling sound. Other than than she's bright-eyed and curious about her surroundings.

I'm going back to the vet as soon as they're open this morning.....I can't give up on her!

More later......

joodith

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 12:57 »
Just back from the vet who has given Vera a good check up....she's prescribed a course of antibiotics....all I have to hope is that Vera obliges by drinking her water!  The vet isn't exactly sure what the problem is but reckons to start with the anti-b's and see where we go.  So she's (Vera not the vet) is installed in her box with her fresh towel and hot water bottle, and all I can do is watch over her and hope for the best.

xx
Sick hen advice please

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 11:03
by richyrich7
xx
Any advice please - Sick Hen

Started by Roger Millen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 01:42
by hillfooter
xx
Very Sick Hen, Advice please

Started by twins on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 09:00
by Sassy
xx
Advice on Culling a sick Hen

Started by Prod on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 09:12
by Casey76

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.