white fly

• 11 Replies

m1ckz

white fly
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:49 »
morning all, loads of white fly about, do these do any damage  and do they need to be sprayed they seem to be all over the entire allotments, any advice please  thanx

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: white fly
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:00 »
They are very prevalent this year.

I've sprayed with insecticide and washing up liquid solution and they are still everywhere. There's that many they soon come back.

A good cold snap will see them off.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 07:41 »
But do they do any damage DD or anyone else - I've got clouds of them on my kale, which seems to be OK - but my leeks in the same bed got rust - any connection??

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:42 »
good to hear ,thanx dd

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:48 »
They make a mess more than anything - or rather their secrections do as a black sooty fugus grows on them.

A good wash in salty water before cooking will get rid of the fly.

Rust is a different matter. I often get a bit on my leeks, but nothing too much to worry about, only on the very outer leaves which get peeled off.

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 15:36 »
They are very prevalent this year.

I've sprayed with insecticide and washing up liquid solution and they are still everywhere. There's that many they soon come back.

A good cold snap will see them off.
I use a Pyrethrum & Garlic spray which normally takes care of them for a while, but not this year. Seems like I spray one evening and three times as many are back the next day.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 16:46 »
I don't know about pyrethrum, but it seems a convenient chance to remind everyone to check the labels on anything they spray on stuff to be eaten.  Sometimes there are limits to the number of applications in a season, and/or intervals between spraying - and it is wise not to exceed these.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 16:53 »
I don't know about pyrethrum, but it seems a convenient chance to remind everyone to check the labels on anything they spray on stuff to be eaten.  Sometimes there are limits to the number of applications in a season, and/or intervals between spraying - and it is wise not to exceed these.
And also be careful what time of day you use these sprays so as to minimise/eliminate danger to beneficial wildlife such as bees, etc.

pushrod

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 17:42 »
Yes they have been bad this year. For the first time ever i have had whitefly in the greenhouse  >:( fortunately only in the last couple of weeks. I hope we get some hard frosts to sort them out, but will also try and give the GH a thorough clean over winter and get some sticky yellow traps for spring to prevent a reoccurence.( Heating the GH over winter would almost certainly mean that some would survive to be a nuisance next year)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 17:44 by pushrod »
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 22:31 »
my brassicas have been suffering a bit from white fly. I have some Romanescos which are 'october/november' on the packet but which are showing zero signs of heads, despite being quite thriving plants. Is there any chance that the white fly have nixxed them, or should i be more patient?

thx

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 22:37 »
It's not just whitefly that are enjoying the mild weather. I've seen scores of ladybirds in the garden, so maybe nature will take it's course......

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 19:33 »
I mixed up my own recipe for insecticide this year. I found it effective on aphids but have not tried it on whitefly yet. It does not kill catterpillars.

It is just cooking oil and water with a squirt of washing up liquid. About 1 part of cooking oil to 10 parts of water add the washing up liquid and give it a good mix.

Warning: it is probably illegal so please don't tell anyone about it!
But at least it is not poisonous.

xx
White fly

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 12:57
by Puenktchen
xx
white rot

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 12:56
by Ivor Backache
question
The white bit ?

Started by Hooee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 16:12
by Hooee
xx
White Fly

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 21:59
by colin120

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 35 queries.