Plastic sheeting /Planting question

• 7 Replies

jetwiz

« on: March 17, 2008, 19:26 »
I am thinking of covering the lottie in black plastic sheeting to keep the weeds at bay and planting through it, and I wondered if any one here has the experience of doing the same and what are the drawbacks if any
thanks
andy

puravida

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 20:39 »
I'm thinking of doing the same Andy. I've got a 5x22m space that is literally just meadowland at the moment and I need to deal with it. From reading posts on here and various books it looks like the right thing to do - essentially starving the weeds of light and ultimately killing them

I'll also be interested in some wizened words from the forum elders on this one!

I'd also like to know how long I need to leave the tarp down for - or maybe just cut slits in and plant through?
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 21:14 »
slugs getting under sheets is only problem my dad used to have so I'm going to use this for my lottie and plant through a layer of cardboard with manure and compost on top of it covered over with the plastic sheeting and then my spuds pushed deep into it via small crosses in top :) By Autumn it should be clear of weeds underneath and ready for a good dig over.....going to use plastic containers or bottles with slug pellets in side and a few small access holes on sides pushed under the plastic near the cuts to help with slug probs.

shaun

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 22:21 »
i wouldnt use plastic/visqueen to plant through,you need to use woven teram as this lets the water through,I grow pumkins and cucumbers through it and have also grown brassicas through the same stuff,your right about the slugs,nowt a hand full of pellets thrown underneath wont sort out.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 23:26 »
I thought about covering some of my plot but I'm too impatient!!  :?

The thought of having a patch of ground and not being able to plant anything in it yet would drive me mad!  :x

I might use the woven stuff for the super pumpkins my girls are planning on growing though!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 23:41 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
I thought about covering some of my plot but I'm too impatient!!  :?

The thought of having a patch of ground and not being able to plant anything in it yet would drive me mad!  :x

I might use the woven stuff for the super pumpkins my girls are planning on growing though!

cover it and then grow through it :)

digby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 07:58 »
I did this last year as I had just got my plot and as I didn't get it until April I didn't need all of the plot so I covered a third.  When my Dad and I dug this bit over ready or this years beans it was a joy to dig - no weeds and really easy digging.

Especially at this time of year when things are starting to come through, if you have no need for it yet do it.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:45 »
If your plot is large you can afford to have some of it covered.  I've had some of mine under sheet mulch for about 3 years til I get round to that end of the plot.  The black plastic sheet mulch (heavy duty) is excellent stuff, also called Tenax or Phormisol, and it's rough textured so slugs don't like it, mice and shrews do though  :roll:   It's expensive to have to make holes in it though

Google LASAGNE GARDENING for lots of info on growing through layers  :D

xx
Plastic Sheeting alternative

Started by NellyCB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:40
by Poolcue
xx
Plastic sheeting on beds, or not?

Started by Goneterseed on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 20:21
by Trikidiki
xx
Black or clear plastic sheeting?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2022, 12:32
by Kleftiwallah
xx
plastic sheeting or weed membrane?

Started by Angelah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 12:24
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 38 queries.