Peas

• 8 Replies

Alec Powell

Peas
« on: September 27, 2006, 18:50 »
From our conversation on another thread diggerdave suggested the following varieties of Pea
I grew 4 varieties this year, Early Onward, Onward, Kelvdon Wonder & Hurst Greenshaft. Due to family circumstances, I had to plant them all at the same time, but it actually worked out well, as the different varieties matured at different time. Kelvdon Wonder were by far the the better germinaters and I had a cracking crop off them.

Not being a pea man myself what does the panel think is the best variety for the novice gardener, time to plant and any oher worthwhle information that you might think useful?
Alec Powell
Watlington
Oxfordshire
"Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards"

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Peas
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 20:25 »
I soak my peas overnight before sowing.

Sowings are netted immediately, with the nets about 6" off the ground. Nets are pegged down all around. This keeps the birds off, the mice out & the plant room to reach a decent height, when they are not so attactive to the pigeons, before they are staked.

I've tried sowings lateish in the year, (June time), but found these very susceptible to mildew.

I generally sow late March to Early April.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Alec Powell

Peas
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 20:35 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
I soak my peas overnight before sowing.

Sowings are netted immediately, with the nets about 6" off the ground. Nets are pegged down all around. This keeps the birds off, the mice out & the plant room to reach a decent height, when they are not so attactive to the pigeons, before they are staked.

I've tried sowings lateish in the year, (June time), but found these very susceptible to mildew.

I generally sow late March to Early April.

I remember from many years ago buying dried peas from the supermarket , soaking them and endeavouring to get a crop from them. Does this still stand the test of time? (or we so keen in the days of our youth :?: )

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Peas
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 20:54 »
My plot neighbours do this - a pack of "Leo" dried peas for thirty-odd pence.  They gave me some, and they cropped well, but went down with mildew just before I was going to pick them.   :x   I did plant them late, mind!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Peas
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 14:23 »
well, not an expert on peas, as they are so cheap in the shops (sorry!!!!) and usually take up a lot of room because of being low growing, but this year I bought some Alderman which grow to 5-6ft,  I was very pleased with them.  Grew them up canes like my runner beans, and didn't have too many with pea moth inside them.  OH and the dog enjoyed them too!!!!

Jake

• Rockers
Peas
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 15:43 »
Alec, wasn't it you that was interested in heirloom/heritage seeds?

If it was I grew heirloom wanadoo peas this year and they were the envy of the site. I have saved some too, I'll send you a few to try if you like. I know they germinate because I tried already, just to see. Problem is, it is possible that they cross pollinated with someones hybrid :?

I'd have to be quite unlucky but it is possible.

Anyway PM me if you're interested.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Annie

Peas
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 23:00 »
Whatever I grow i now only sew in  a gutter pipe due to mice scoffing anything grown outside.grew hurst green this year at 2 week intervals-had reaonable crops but think that this is a difficult year to assess anything new.

Alec Powell

Peas
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:27 »
Quote from: "Jake"
Alec, wasn't it you that was interested in heirloom/heritage seeds?

If it was I grew heirloom wanadoo peas this year and they were the envy of the site. I have saved some too, I'll send you a few to try if you like. I know they germinate because I tried already, just to see. Problem is, it is possible that they cross pollinated with someones hybrid :?

I'd have to be quite unlucky but it is possible.

Anyway PM me if you're interested.

Thanks for this Jake, that is very kind of you but I have other plans for my heritage seed next year.
Looking at the Orphan list there were are 4 varieties this year and maybe I shall see what they offer for 2007.
I still think however that my "Heritage" efforts would be better concentrated on something other than peas.
Thinks......turnips or parsnips maybe.......
Cheers,
Alec (chasing chub today) Powell

Nugget

Peas
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 21:47 »
planted my peas in february under plastic and they were better than anyones on the allotments
theres nothing more lonesome, morbid or drear than to stand at the bar of a pub with no beer!

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 11:20
by DD.
xx
peas

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 06:06
by DD.

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 40 queries.