Yoghurt??

• 13 Replies

matilda duck

Yoghurt??
« on: June 29, 2009, 21:38 »
Righty then, I want to have a go at making yoghurt BUT.................here's
free where I need expertise.......   Mary is intollerant to Milk/Dairy /Soya>:(   She has to have RICE MILK   so could I make yoghurt????????  I know I need live yoghurt and that's where the problem will be?????   Any ideas???????

I just thought it would be lovely for her to try some that wont make her poorley :( and if I could make it myself then I know what ingredients are in it :wub:

sloworm

• Experienced Member
Re: Yoghurt??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 21:43 »
I think you can get vegan yoghurt culture, I guess a health food store is your best bet  :unsure:

Good luck

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 21:48 »
 Mary is intollerant to Milk/Dairy /Soya>:(   She has to have RICE MILK   so could I make yoghurt???????

The answer is no :(
By definition  Yogurt: A common dish made of milk curdled and fermented with a culture of Lactobacillus (the milk bacillus).
Have you thought of trying gelatin to thicken the ricemilk till it sets.dunno if it would work just thinking out loud :)
The vegan cultures appear to be for soya :(

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 21:54 »
 :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(  I'm sad now   can you tell??..  Nevermind it was a thought.  That lactobacillus sounds like it would make her ill.  She's intollerant to lactose.  I just wanted to do something different for a change it's hard working without some of the main ingredients.  Thanks for the replies though   sam x

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 21:59 »
how about trying the vegan society for some suggestions on alternatives ? :wub:

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 22:07 »
Suggestions revolve around soya!!! 

It's hard to comprehend  that a little girl can't have milk and soya, it goes against whats natural......except it's not natural for us to drink cows milk...that's for calves!!!!!

Back to the drawing board!!!   Thanks for suggestions though

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 22:11 »
You could try this:

http://www.wholisticresearch.com/shop/home/m/Shop/id/547/page/1/

You don't ned to worry about lactobaccillus -- it is a bacteria and doesn't contain lactose.

Hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:04 »
How is she with goats milk? My step son is lactose intollerant too, but he can eat goats cheese and sheeps cheese. You might check to see if she can have those and if so, then you can make goats milk yogurt. Agree it will have the goaty taste just a bit, but maybe add more fruit to it. I know our local grocery sells both goats milk and the yogurt here.

matilda duck

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 17:18 »
Thanks sunshineband what a fantastic site!!!!  I've had a good look at it and it may be a goer :wub:

Hi Patricia isn't lactose intollerance just the pits :(.  We havn't tried goats milk as the dietician told us not to, as even just a tiny bit of lactose starts to upset her tummy >:(.  It's taken 4 years to get this far :unsure:   

wighty

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 20:24 »
I'm lactose intolerent as well,  Dear Darling Paul put one tablespoon of single cream in our dinner tonight 'to make it more indulgent'.  I ate it two hours ago.  I have now got cramps so please be careful.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 09:46 »
Matilda it is definately a challenge when he comes for a visit as to what I cook. I have found several substitutes for cream, milk and butter. There is actually a soya based cream out there for desserts that isn't too bad. I even bought some for hubby and I to have as it is also lower fat, which is good for us. :) When I know I have to cook for him I read all the labels really carefully as  you would be surprised at what it is in.

matilda duck

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 17:25 »
Ha ha ha I'm not suprised by anything anymore!!!!!  We knew from the start there was something wrong with mary from the amount of screaming she did :(
We now know she can't have milk, lactose, soya,eggs, e150, and we think there are some more but can't quite pin it down >:( >:( >:(   no yogurt then!!!  Worth a try asking

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 07:39 »
Oh dear, rice milk it is then. My son was strictly vegan for many years (but could eat soya and therefore tofu, which helped...... he didn't like it though  :ohmy:)

I used to make this quite often for a change. It is very nice indeed

http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/online_recipes/srilanka/milk-rice.php

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 08:20 »
There is another alternative as long as she doesn't have a nut intollerance.....
Almond Milk.
http://www.minehead-online.co.uk/almondmilk.htm

xx
yoghurt

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 21:28
by michellela
clip
Propagator yoghurt

Started by Firstyear on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2019, 15:22
by Firstyear
xx
Anyone got a yoghurt maker?

Started by Yoghurt on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 10:19
by compostqueen
xx
Easiyo yoghurt

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 23, 2008, 15:01
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.