Anyone been to the RHS flower show at Chatsworth Park?

• 4 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
It was featured on Gardener's World yesterday, and I know a couple of people who said there was lots to see and that it was 'fabulous'.

Have also heard reports that the traffic congestion has been horrendous.  :ohmy:

I'm going there tomorrow - has anyone else been, and if so is there anything which particularly grabbed you?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Anyone been to the RHS flower show at Chatsworth Park?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 12:20 »
Went there yesterday. Left early and no problems getting in. Took an hour just to get to Chesterfield on the way back! It was also difficult (impossible) at times to find a seat in the refreshment areas. We'd been saving all year to have the traditional Pimm's, which is only £6.80 for a small one in a plastic "glass".

Other than the main display tents, have a look at the well dressing and the metallic dandelions! Not much in the way of veg, I'm afraid, but the Crimson Crush tomatoes are very impressive!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 21:23 »
Thanks DD  - will just have to cross my fingers traffic-wise and hope for the best.  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 16:46 »
Went there yesterday. Left early and no problems getting in. Took an hour just to get to Chesterfield on the way back!

Just got back - no problems getting there but getting home was a different matter - it took an hour just to get out of the park and then there were several other bottlenecks on the way back. 2 hours for what usually a 25 minute journey from my house.

I enjoyed it, but as you say DD, very little for the veg enthusiast, although of course that's not really surprising given the show's title!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 19:18 »
I went!  😃  Me and the old man hiked!  We got bogged down in a sheep field looking for the way into the trail but the marked footpath with steps had been sealed off so we had a right schlepp find another entry point. We walked across a huge field with a gorgeous pond in it and while we were gawping at that we saw a huge red deer being chased by a dog, and the deer soared a wire-topped wall, and into the field we were in. It was quite a trek and very muddy so'i,was glad I had wellies on. I,don't normally,hike in wellies mind you 😃
Starving when we got there so headed to the food zone and had fish chips and peas.  Then we had a delish cream tea before starting to look round.  I sat there with my tea and a lush hunk of carrot cake, thinking life doesn't get better than this, when their music system started playing Billie Holliday 😁

Our local community allotment garden had a stand which was fab to see, complete with their own hens which had laid Eggs 🙂 They had veg on show as you'd expect .  I went round the various Hartley Botanic greenhouses being as I have just bagged one second hand, and they had some lovely veg in there. Fothergills seeds were busy. I have up as I couldn't get near the beans 😁We went in the large bee tent and watched their bee keeping show.  We saw all the show gardens 😃 Didn't buy any fluff, grabbed a coffee and headed for the shuttle bus which turned up bang on cue and took us back to where we set off.  I had a lovely day. Came home and watched the match which we had recorded 🙂 What a game.

xx
RHS Flower Show Cardiff

Started by Aunt Sally on Events and Places to Visit

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 21:21
by Aunt Sally
xx
RHS Chelsea Flower Show

Started by Aunt Sally on Events and Places to Visit

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 21:40
by Eblana
xx
Wisley Flower Show 4-8 September

Started by BobE on Events and Places to Visit

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 09:50
by fred-quimby
xx
Wrest Park

Started by hillfooter on Events and Places to Visit

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 15:28
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 40 queries.