How can I re-home Mums cat?

• 9 Replies

Slowgrind

How can I re-home Mums cat?
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:35 »
Can anyone offer any advice on finding a new home for my Mums cat?
Mum has been in hospital for a number of weeks now, leaving her two year old cat for us to feed and care for each morning and evening.
This last week the powers that be have elected for Ma to go into a long term care home (no pets allowed) so we have to organise a new home for Tibby. We've tried the local cats homes in our area and all appear to be full at the moment. I tried the RSPCA for advice today but they only have a machine answering. I'm running out of time and would be glad of any advice. Thanks BC.

twissle

• Experienced Member
Re: How can I re-home Mums cat?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:53 »
Sorry to hear about your Mum. there a rescue called cinamon trust they rehome cat's and dog's for people how need to go into home's or long term hospital care. if you google it they have a website. Hope they can help you :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 13:02 »
Also there's the Cats Protection League and in Lincolnshire we have a website called Lincspets4life, perhaps you've got something like that round your way?

Good luck with it, shame you are so far away, I'd try to persuade Brian to have another cat!

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 13:43 »
you could also try free cycle and vet the people who answer. There is also cheap cycle and you could  charge for the cat. This means that people who really want her and not a freebie you know what i mean and then donate it the money to a charity.

Our local pet store also has adverts like yours for people who have to go in a home.

maxyboo

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 13:47 »
It's really difficult as there are so many cats needing rehoming. Cats Protection are definitely worth a try and if they are full, ask if you can go on a waiting list and see if they can let you know what the average wait is in your area. Try the RSPCA again. ( Not a fan of theirs but desperate times...). These organisations may have phone numbers for local sanctuaries that you have not heard of. Local vets may also be able to suggest places. If you can be put on a waiting list, can you or someone you know foster the cat until a place is available? If you do a google search there are places online where you can advertise pets for sale or rehoming. I hope you find somewhere soon.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 18:48 »
you could also try dogpages its an online rehoming forum and people on there will point you in the right direction. might even be lucky enough for a member to offer temporary foster care. they have an 'other pets requiring homes' section even though the forum was initially set up for dogs.

even if you do do this, my advice would be for you to ask the local rescue for back up - even if they can't take the cat into their care.

having back up means they'll vet the potential new owners, require them to ensure the cat is neutered (if it isn't already) and if the new owners can't take care of him then they must return him to the shelter they got him from by law. this way you'll know they haven't passed the cat on to just anybody if they can't care for it in the future.

just an option :) hope that helps.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Slowgrind

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 21:27 »
Thanks for all your replies. I've tried some other places to no avail!
I'm trying to get him in a local place. He has been neutered and has a great personality.
Thanks again BC.

Slowgrind

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 14:59 »
Update on Tibby!!!
My Wife found a great Lady who has offered to foster Tibby until a full time keeper can be found!
She already has a house full of cats and  she looks after them until they can be re-housed.
How's that for a great person!!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 15:27 »
There are always great people about, its sometimes just a matter of finding them. ::) Good result! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
The cat I brought home .............

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

39 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 08:20
by madcat
xx
Forever home

Started by snowdrops on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2016, 09:15
by snowdrops
xx
Why come home via the gate when....

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 17:29
by Oliveview
xx
A home for bees.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post May 30, 2021, 11:28
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.