Flowers on an allotment

• 22 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Flowers on an allotment
« on: February 18, 2014, 22:04 »
I have seen allotments with lots of colourful flowers on them and often wondered what flowers they were and were they grown for any particular purpose.
I would like to grow some flowers on my allotment but am not sure which ones to grow.
What flowers do you grow on your allotment and why?

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Flowers on an allotment
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 22:22 »
I have set aside a small bed this year just for flowers. I have bought seeds for cut flowers and for pollinators. I have bought some seeds just because I like the flowers. Then I found a box of wild flower seeds that I bought a while back and forgot about.  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 22:26 »
I mostly grow edibles: seed for baking with or flowers for use in salads or floating in drinks/ice cubes: nasturtiums, chamomile, cornflowers, borage, marigolds, poppies. And I let some of my fennel and broccoli flower because it's just so pretty.

I also grow sweet peas for the scent, poached egg plants for attracting hoverflies and cosmos and sunflowers for the bees - I love seeing them lolling about almost drunk on the sunflowers.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 22:29 »
The first flower that always gets space for me is the pot marigold - it's as tough as old boots and the single bloom varieties are bee and insect  heaven. 

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/17/alys-fowler-marigolds

The other is the lowly tagettes .... Inside the greenhouse keeping the white flies at bay, and outside they are a jam jar for all the good insects (the slugs can't resist them, and when the lop off a stem overnight, just replant it and away it'll go again :D)

And the sunflower in its many forms, and the bees will always thank you   :)

That's just for starters for summer - spring is a tough time for our insects. 

(edit, my spelling is getting worse !)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 22:34 by shoozie »

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 22:31 »
Sunflowers for the competition??

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 23:18 »
I mostly grow veg but have started a cut flower bed last year.  I'm still finding out which ones cut well for the house. Sweet peas, sweet william, calendula are good, but the oenothera weren't good as they looked a bit scruffy most of the time. 
Other flowers I grow for the bees[and because I like them]poppy, marigold, sunflower, phacelia, nasturtium, antirrhinum, poached egg plants.
Anne

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:40 »
Cut flowers:
*chrysanthemums (spray types)
*gladioli
*roses

For the home garden:
*Wallflowers
*Sweet Williams

Then there’s the occasional patch for dried flowers when the fancy takes me.... and I've enough spare time to fiddle about with them.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:55 »
This year we will be having flowers which is a first for us, my herb bed is getting a few radom poppies and cornflowers and sweet williams will be grown for mummies vases.  :lol: no marigolds as the badger man said badgers love them and I dont need him thinking its an invite. he already things my plot is his playground.

I just want a bit of colour for the bees and me

Ma Lowe

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:11 »
Wow thank you everyone. You have helped me addd more flowers to my list for the allotment. I have always grown nasturtium marigolds and targets in the garden as I know they help with the insects wether it's keeping them off my veg or just helping them but there are a lot more flowers I will be trying too.

Many thanks
Ma x

diospyros

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 08:17 »
but the oenothera weren't good as they looked a bit scruffy most of the time. 

That's a thought - need things which are open during the day!  I bet they looked lovely after you'd gone home in the evening.

I've planted a row of lavender for bees and cutting.  I think that's the traditional "excuse" for the OB's growing flowers, to take home for the wife, so sweet peas and chrysanthemums.  But my main purpose for growing flowers is goin to be as an insect attractant, so I am planning calendula, coriander, buckwheat, clovers.  Also flowers to eat - rocket, calendula, borage.

dmg

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 21:47 »
I had cornflowers which the bees LOVED, some sunflowers dwarf and normal, poached egg plant, verbena and several pelargoniums.
I grew a lot in the florist buckets so the could be moved to show them off as the flowered
I will be doing calendula and borage this year also

Eblana

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 22:26 »
I grow sweet pea, gladioli, chrysanthemums, Lillies and dahlias for cut flowers for the house and competition.  I will also be growing sunflowers for seed heads for birds.

I love the colour that they add to the plot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 22:31 »
lots of sweet peas, poppies and marigolds grown on mine - oh and self seeded borage  :D

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 17:06 »
lots of sweet peas, poppies and marigolds grown on mine - oh and self seeded borage  :D

Poppies, I didn't think of growing poppies, I like them.  We were asked at the AGM to grow more flowers for the bees and I was a bit stumped. Don't know much about flowers. I've got a massive lavender bush on my plot which the bees love, and I've grown borage before.

Poppies I think, for seeds for bread.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Ma Lowe

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 20:30 »
Thank you all, I got loads of flower seeds now and hope to dedicate a full plot bed to just flowers. I might just be the sweetest smelling plot holder lol  :D

xx
Cut Flowers

Started by pipfit on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 17:18
by Kristen
xx
Sun flowers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2023, 16:01
by mrs bouquet
xx
cut flowers

Started by ecky on General Gardening

61 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 20:04
by noshed
xx
cut flowers

Started by floydfan1 on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 21:48
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.