council dicates

• 11 Replies

joannebolton

council dicates
« on: August 27, 2006, 20:14 »
hi everyone,

i was just enquiring on some issues with council owned allotments to see if anyone else had had similar issues.

- has anyone ever been told where they can put their shed or greenhouse on thier plot even if the place is unsuitable? does anyone have to ask for permission to place a shed or greenhouse? is the size of the green house or shed an issue

kiowa

council dicates
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 21:24 »
:) hi Joanne,
lets think ,...where i am ..yes we have to ask permission to put greenhouse /shed up ,also has to be only at one end of plot and on existing foundations of previous one ,and greenhouse cant be any taller than shed /vice versa.
its a bit of a bummer as i thought of another place to put greenhouse  (thinking i can knock down old one before it falls down ),but husband reminded me we cant as it wouldnt be on existing foundations ....humbug!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
council dicates
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 23:08 »
Apparently the rules for our allotment state that the shed/buildings on the plot has to be no more than 6x8ft shed for a full 10pole plot and some smaller amount for a half, 5pole, plot. We're suppose to get permission for it and where it should go but this was just informal chatting with people on the allotment, like the person we went to originally about getting the plot, and they said it was fine. Pointed over to where it was going to go and said it's 6x8ft and they said that's fine (besides, blimey, you could sleep in something that big!  :lol: )
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
council dicates
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 23:39 »
It's quite common to have rules about these things - some sites don't allow sheds!!

Our rules are pretty open so no complaints here.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
council dicates
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 12:15 »
Just a thought but aren't some of these rules a bit petty? How would the council know if it's on different foundations if the old ones are removed anyway? Petty burauracy is not my favourite subjet. If the peole on site don't have a problem do it. OK promise not to rant  :lol:
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
council dicates
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 19:06 »
Our rules (such as they are) say a maximum 8x6 shed, and fires only in a brazier - but that's it.  I think that as long as the plot looks nice and is well looked after, they're happy.  I've just got a 6x4 shed (it's purple, though!), and my pair of scarecrows are quite a talking point round the village!  

The more established plot in our village looks like a shanty town with lashed up buildings and corrugated iron everywhere, it's great.  
There's also a "no livestock" rule, but everyone mostly ignores that.  The man from the council doesn't seem to be too bothered, and we've got used to Cyril the dyslexic cockerel who can't tell the time and crows at very obscure times of day...

Mel

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
council dicates
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 14:05 »
I reckon it's a big part of the charm of British allotments - weird and wonderful constructions of bits and bobs.
As long as everyone is happy - what's the problem?

milkman

council dicates
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 13:04 »
No rules on our site as far as I can remember, except if we are planning to keep chickens or rabbits which are allowed provided the council approve their housing.  I just looked around the site and saw that as other people had sheds and greenhouses there was no reason why I couldn't too.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

noshed

council dicates
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 13:23 »
All our site sec said to me was - you're supposed to get permission for sheds etc and you can grow anything legal.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

wellingtons

Feck ...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 17:30 »
... I had no idea that I might need permission to get my new freebie greenhouse!

Best I read da rules and regs.  I whacked up a temporary greenhouse without thinking ... others have greenhouses and practically everyone has a shed ... but I'd best read da rule ... or misery twits next door will take a great deal of pleasure in complaining about me ... lol

joannebolton

council dicates
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 19:43 »
intersting, we have a load of rules as to where the shed and green house go (next to the gate) the colour of the shed and the size and the fencing can only be hedges. the guy that runs the department for allotments is a stickler for the rules. oh well

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
council dicates
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 21:26 »
Quote from: "joannebolton"
intersting, we have a load of rules as to where the shed and green house go (next to the gate) the colour of the shed and the size and the fencing can only be hedges. the guy that runs the department for allotments is a stickler for the rules. oh well

It wasn't known as the Soviet Republic of Sheffield for nothing!

I hate people who hide behind rules because they have no common sense.

xx
me 1 council 0

Started by lightyears on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 12:43
by Mrs SpudtheBinx
xx
Me 2 Council still 0

Started by lightyears on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 08:16
by Knight Family
xx
Blooming council

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 09:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Council green compost

Started by Redgoat on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2015, 09:13
by madcat

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 36 queries.