How high is the risk???

• 14 Replies

camelliagirl

How high is the risk???
« on: July 07, 2010, 17:39 »
Just looking for some thoughts / advice from those of you much more experienced than me.

My hens are shut into their run during the day but I would very much like to let them out into a temporary fenced area during the evening when we are around.  I have made up a fenced off area using windbreak netting and metal electric fencing posts.  However, I am worried about just leaving them out in that area even though we are around and have sat with them for the past couple of nights for about an hour whilst they peck about.  Unfortunately I don't have the time to sit with them on guard every evening.

I'm pretty sure there are foxes in the copse at the top of the field next to us as our neighbours have seen them.

I don't know enough about fox behaviour to know whether leaving them unattended in the temporary pen for a couple of hours in the early evening presents a significant risk.

We do have a dog so he's wandering around although not necessarily in that part of the garden.  The orchard area in which their pen is located has only stock fencing separating it from the field next door.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks .....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 17:58 by camelliagirl »

lightyears

Re: How high is the risk???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 17:56 »
if you a hesitating about it, you're probably right, most foxes round these parts walk by and are not scared of human contact, if a fox is hungry a windbreak is going to take him about 1 second to get through to get his Kfc. Is it possible to get some electric netting or something for the summer?

camelliagirl

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 18:18 »
I know I should invest in electric fencing but it's about £150 for a decent kit which seems a lot of money to spend out.

Much as I want to keep them safe, having just set up the coop, run, etc, at the moment can't justify that much extra spend even though I'd love for them to have a chance of being outside for an hour or so in the evening.

I was trying to weigh up the risk of leaving them there as I don't know what times of day foxes would be more active and whether early evening was very low risk.  I would really hate for them to get taken so I guess I'm either going to have to sit with them even if just for half an hour for the time being.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 19:34 »
I suppose you have to weigh it all up.

I have my girls confined to a 140sqm section of the garden, and they have free run all day as I don't have any specific "run"

It has both natural borders (hedgerow) and fencing, but my cats still can get in and out of the enclosure, I guess, so could a fox.

Next door (a farm) has about 30 hens in a 2 acre field with either grill fencing or stock fencing, and he has never had a problem, although I know there are foxes in the area. 

We have more issues with raptors.

Having weighed up the risks and benefits, I'd prefer to have my girls run around ousde with relative freedom than be confined all the time.

But I guess it will be easier building a fixed fox proof run when you have smaller numbers of hens.

Stemar

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 20:01 »
I would'nt risk it. Last week our hens were free ranging for some time whilst husband was in the garden renovating a bench.  He came in the house to wash paintbrushes and within seconds a fox appeared on the patio.

Luckily I was at the kitchen sink - screamed out and ran out chasing the fox whilst he/she chased Daisy.  It made a grab for her as she was in midair and managed to pull out all her tail feathers but thankfully did not tear her skin.  By this stage my OH had passed me and kicked at fox! The cheeky thing then retreated to back of garden and just stood there watching - no real fear until we went close and chased away.

This was such a wakeup call, we NEVER leave them out without one of us staying in garden.

Maria

camelliagirl

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 21:23 »
Yes, it's a big dilemma.  Head says they only cost £5 each so investing in £150 electric fencing seems ridiculous but heart says (even having had them only for 2 weeks) that I should do anything to keep them safe but at the moment that probably means depriving them of free-ranging and being stuck to their pen (albeit a reasonable size) which is ultra fox-proof - unless of course I can sit on the bench right next to them for hours at a time which is just not going to happen.

Maeve

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:50 »
I agree with Maria -I would not risk it.  My two hens are in an enclosed run measuring 4'X 13' which includes the area beneath the coop.  I only let them out into the garden when I am there too.  If I am not able to be outside with them, then I am afraid they are confined to their run.  There is a fox-proof skirt of weld mesh around the perimeter of the coop and run.
We have foxes in our garden every day and this is in north London, not some rural area.  They have been outside the back door in the morning, afternoon and of course at night, though the foxes of North Finchley don't seem to be particularly nocturnal!
I actually like foxes (I know not everyone shares this view of them) but do not want them to get my chickens so have done everything I can to protect my birds.
Maeve

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:58 »
I agree with Maria -I would not risk it.  My two hens are in an enclosed run measuring 4'X 13' which includes the area beneath the coop.  I only let them out into the garden when I am there too.  If I am not able to be outside with them, then I am afraid they are confined to their run.  There is a fox-proof skirt of weld mesh around the perimeter of the coop and run.
We have foxes in our garden every day and this is in north London, not some rural area.  They have been outside the back door in the morning, afternoon and of course at night, though the foxes of North Finchley don't seem to be particularly nocturnal!
I actually like foxes (I know not everyone shares this view of them) but do not want them to get my chickens so have done everything I can to protect my birds.
Maeve

Chooks are at risk from all foxes but it is even harder to deter the urban fox as they have lost their fear of humans!!!!!!!!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:24 »
At the moment I'm busy repairing the electric fence and moving the fixed fences, which are inside the electric fence, because our neighbours on both sides have lost hens this week. One was at 4 O'clock in the afternoon, the other at 8 in the morning. Both have dogs and people were about at the time. It seems that they are less fearful.

Knight Family

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:43 »
Wait till winter when food is short, thats what the people a couple of doors down say. They lost 3 girls due to the fox, but it does not help matters when the house a couple of doors in between us used to (I dont think any more) feed the dam fox.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Debz

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:24 »
i had a fox wander through my garden at 8.30 the other evening.  I would never let the girls out unsupervised as the foxes are just too bold.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 12:03 »
A friend of mine has just suffered a daytime fox attack with all her birds savagely killed.  It dug under fencing to get to them.  Yet elsewhere in the village, hens wander free.  You just can't predict where foxes will strike.  But knowing they can strike, and at any time, is it worth the risk?

I am paranoid about foxes because of the destruction and heartbreak I've read about on this forum.  My girls are confined to their own part of the garden in a large pen with mesh roof and buried mesh skirts.  They are happy, healthy, busy hens.  I know it's a good place to be, cos I spend hours in there with them myself!  I've got my own perch :D

I wouldn't risk losing them just for the sake of them having a wander round the garden.

Jeanette

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 13:05 »
I would'nt risk my girls. They are in a very large fully enclosed pen and are very happy. They have got a big mirror, cabbages hanging down, different levels for them to climb on and plenty of holes that they have dug for dust baths. I used to let mine out to free range and then one afternoon we had a visit from a fox who killed everyone of them. It is heartbreaking to have to go around and pick up the bodies of a very loved chicken.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 15:49 »
I let mine out into a netting run attached to their large enclosed run but only when I am home and knocking about. I keep the house door and windows open so I can hear them.  I have had foxy calling and so am now paranoid about it.  You just can't be too careful. 

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 22:09 »
there are allotments behind my house and they are infested with foxes...the only thing they seem to fear is the ferral cats. even the dog spends hours barking in the evening to no avail...but just to make you aware...i've had foxes in my garden as early as 4.30 in the evening - in summer! my hens now free range for one hour on a rotational basis ...abit like exercvise in an american prison yard....take no chances.

on a happier(?) note....my german shepherd did manage to near enough tear the leg off one last winter.....it was found dead the next morning just over the fence. needless to say, i didn't mourn the loss.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

xx
FOX - should I risk it?

Started by tortzblue on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 09:52
by tortzblue
xx
i am taking to much of a risk

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 10:20
by karlooben
xx
Salmonella risk

Started by shaggybfc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 15:34
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Salmonella Risk - Duck Eggs

Started by darrena on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 10:11
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.