breeding

• 8 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
breeding
« on: January 07, 2008, 19:31 »
what do you lot do with unwanted cockerels when you are breeding as i was thinking of going down this route but im having trouble getting rid of george (as i have found out that molly is really a morris) so i have to get rid of one before all hell lets lose advice please
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

Jellyhead

breeding
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 19:51 »
I'm not the only one then. Its awful isnt it, no one wants the cockerels, if it wasnt for the fact that they would half kill each other I would keep them but they will so I cant.  I dont want to kill em but no one wants them, someone said take them to some large woods and let them go, they make there own way then and take their chances, I don't fancy that either. All in all I'm not a lot of bl***y help really, sorry about that :oops:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
breeding
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 18:51 »
Quote from: "Frenchconnection"
I'm not the only one then. Its awful isnt it, no one wants the cockerels, if it wasnt for the fact that they would half kill each other I would keep them but they will so I cant.  I dont want to kill em but no one wants them, someone said take them to some large woods and let them go, they make there own way then and take their chances, I don't fancy that either. All in all I'm not a lot of bl***y help really, sorry about that :oops:

i know i wouldnt be able to take them to the woods and leave them it would upset me to much but your right no one wants them ive have rehomed one and am trying my hardest to rehome the other two but the fights are getting a bit nasty but im threr nearly all day so can stop them its at night when i worry if they are fighting and dread going to let them out incase one of them are hurt but if i cant find homes for them my pops said he would kill them for me it will be really upsetting if it comes to that naxt time i get some hens im going to buy them from a breeder and only get females  then no more worry over fighting cockerels

Selkie

breeding
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 19:45 »
Quote from: "ToHellWithWeeds!"
i know i wouldnt be able to take them to the woods and leave them it would upset me to much

Oh I'm glad about that! :D

How many hens did you get Collette? Could you take the cockerals back to whoever you got them from?

I'm so glad that we knew ours were definately girls, I wouldn't know what to do with a cockerel.

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
breeding
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 19:50 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Quote from: "ToHellWithWeeds!"
i know i wouldnt be able to take them to the woods and leave them it would upset me to much

Oh I'm glad about that! :D

How many hens did you get Collette? Could you take the cockerals back to whoever you got them from?

I'm so glad that we knew ours were definately girls, I wouldn't know what to do with a cockerel.

only got two out of five lesson one learnt only get chickens from a breeder then you know what your getting i just feel so bad if only i had know what they were i wouldnt of taken them and i cant take them back because the person i got them off doesnt have the room for them thats why i got them shall NEVER do it again

babe

• elvis king of chooks
breeding
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 19:59 »
i was told i was buying three girls..... but i wouldnt change elvis for the world now.

my neighbours all know he's here and have all said that if and when he starts to make a noise we will all see how it goes.

cant ask for better than that

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
breeding
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 20:19 »
People do keep more than one cockerel, I have two who are ok together, although, (you may have read), the bigger one has to be confined to his run when the young male peacock is on the war path! I think they would fight if I kept them in a confined space together. Is there any way you can give them more space? An alternative maybe to try a country park/City Farm if you have one, they may take them.

So sad

Judi

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
never thought of that
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 20:25 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
People do keep more than one cockerel, I have two who are ok together, although, (you may have read), the bigger one has to be confined to his run when the young male peacock is on the war path! I think they would fight if I kept them in a confined space together. Is there any way you can give them more space? An alternative maybe to try a country park/City Farm if you have one, they may take them.

So sad

Judi

i will ring round in the morning as there are some farms around us oh thankyou  so much you have made me feel so much better kiss kiss to you

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
breeding
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 21:28 »
When i went to get some hens in november i tried getting rid of my unwanted cockerels through the breeder as he is well known and he wouldnt take them as they are not in demand.
When breeders hatch batches of chicks the exess males are often killed off as not many people but them.
The breeder said i could have some of his cockerels for nothing, he offered me about 5 for free that he didnt want when i was talking about table birds.
I didnt take them but thats what a lot of them end up as unless their not killed off when they hatch. They are ready for the table from 4 - 6 months old , just before or when they start to crow.
When i was a child i went to a local country park which had lots of cockerels running about , now i know where they came from.
They did ok as they roost in the trees and theres plenty of room for them with food.
You could kill him for the table, let somone else do that or give him away?
You could let him go ? or could you set up a new pen for one to keep them seperate?
Did you buy him from a breeder who said he was a hen? you could take him back i thats the story.
Im sure you will find a good home for him

xx
Breeding

Started by Debbieta on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2012, 21:41
by JaK
xx
Breeding?

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 20:47
by death of rats
xx
breeding

Started by Debbieta on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 22:30
by ANHBUC
xx
Breeding

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:10
by joyfull

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 38 queries.