Hard crop not going down

• 6 Replies

carolbriar

Hard crop not going down
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:49 »
My Light Sussex hen has a hard crop which is not going down.  I took her to the vet on Friday as she didn't seem right - she was jerking her head to one side every so often and then it stoppped.  I had noticed she was keeping away from the others more.  He wondered if she had mareks because she wasn't standing fully - he thought she looked as if she would fall over if pushed lightly.  She was a little wobbly. He said to isolate her from the others and only give her water until Sunday. I checked her yesterday in the morning and evening and her crop had only gone down a little bit - it is still firm.  I'm to call him tomorrow and to let him know how she is and to see about getting some liquid parafin to help her crop.  In my book it says impacted crop is squidgy - hers is firm.  There is pendulous crop?  Help - I don't know what to do.  She seems perkier than she was and it doesn't look like Mareks at all.  She has also had a slight moult.  Any advice would be gratefully received.  My vet has been very good with hens - he owns rescued hens himself. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: Hard crop not going down
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:00 »
hiya carol, sorry i carnt offer any advice, could it be something else rather than her crop, could it be a hard swelling prehaps  :unsure:,  hope she gets better soon for you hun     nickyxxx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:11 »
Looks like a trip back to the vet if it's not gone down even after only taking in water.  It could be that something like too much grass etc has impacted in the crop.  If she's perky that sounds more promising but I'd be on to the vet again tomorrow morning  :) 

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:34 »
Thanks for the replies.  I think she has it impacted and I thought about putting tepid olive oil in her and massage it but it is low down and I wouldn't want to tip her upside down and try and get the food out which is what the book said to do.  I have let her out today which I think was a mistake (her crop has filled again).  She is now back in isolation (in a dog cage within the run), I don't want her to be pecked and bullied if I take her away totally.  Her poos indicate not getting enough food - checked the poo pictures!  It will have to be back at the vets tomorrow.  While I think of it, the hens do peck around in the dust free shavings and eat some of the small bits - that probably doesn't help either! 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:50 »
have you had a look at this section:-
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.msg48355#msg48355
thiere is a section about impacted crop.
Also I know that some people put live maggots down their chickens throats (often the chickens will eat them voluntary others have to have them pushed in) and these help break up the solid mass.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:11 »
Thanks for that Joyfull.  I will give her some olive oil and then perhaps later give her some soft layers pellets made into a mash.  Should I add a little grit to it?  Would I be better not feeding her until tomorrow?  I will try and get some liquid parafin tomorrow rather than using olive oil throughout. 

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 13:56 »
I should follow the instructions the vet gave you and then speak to them again tomorrow morning

xx
help please ! ! ! hard crop ! ! ! dont know how to treat

Started by christianj04 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 15, 2006, 14:25
by muntjac
xx
Egg shell so hard, very hard to break

Started by stujem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 13:15
by hillfooter
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 40 queries.