Vine growing - general advice (first post!)

• 8 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Vine growing - general advice (first post!)
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:49 »
Hello,

Although I have been reading these posts for a while, this is my first try! I have always loved gardening but only recently tried growing my own food, and I am hooked. I have a small city garden (no allotments available near me) and the soil is very light and hungry. I am also fortunate to have a small south facing yard, and would love to have a grapevine over a pergola type structure, to provide a screen against my neighbours washing, and a lovely green space to sit with a cool drink on a summer day. Edible grapes would be a bonus!

My questions, having read the info on this site are firstly, is it possible to grow the vine outside in a pot, given my poor soil? Would it survive winter frosts? And secondly, which varieties would you recommend for

Many thanks ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Vine growing - general advice (first post!)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 13:35 »
No idea but welcome to the site  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 21:48 »
I would plant in the ground to avoid watering problems. Grapes are hardy and will go dormant over the Winter loosing their leaves.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:48 »
Thanks Yorkie and realfood,

I will give it a go, nothing ventured etc!.......

:) :) :

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:13 »
Hi and welcome to the site. Don't know if you have been to the RHS site some useful info there too here's the link

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=288

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 16:59 »
Thanks Ma,

That link is just what i needed, as growing in the ground may be difficult I think i will try one in a container. My back yard will be just like a taverna.... (well, with some imagination!!!!)

::)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 13:43 »
You are on the same latitude as me in N Wales. It is important to know what grows in your area. Do a lot of research (the RHS is an excellent site) and visit the garden centres to see what types they stock.
I built a plastic and wood  lean to affair for a Black Hamburgh and a green Larkmont to grow outside.  It is recommended that you grow them in the ground but that was not possible for the Hamburgh so I bought the biggest pot I could find similar to a half barrel.
You will be planting these in Spring so now is a good time to prepare the ground. Dig a 2' diameter hole and as deep and fill it with compost, manure, kitchen waste etc. Build a wire system to support the plant. They are prolific growers, but they will be pruned back at the end of the year. Don't expect fruit in the first year.

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 15:47 »
A useful diagram I planted mine last year and they are growing like mad this year, next year they will be better controlled 
2009-12-26 Grape three-yr-captioned-prune.jpg

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 18:25 »
Thanks all,

I am looking to future years (part of what makes gardening so addictive I think).
A 2 ft hole deep hole is not an option so I will get myself a big container and look forward to possible fruit, but if not, a handsome foliage plant!
Although we are on a level with North Wales my OH says we dont get `weather` here! Its pretty dry on the whole so I will have to think about how to tackle that. I hope in town with the shelter of my house walls frost shouldnt be too much of a problem. We will see.....

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
General Advice

Started by Brutus on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 21:04
by Brutus
clip
First Year Growing - Any general tips

Started by feedtheafro on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 23, 2015, 20:35
by feedtheafro
xx
Introduction and general advice

Started by Tensing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2006, 10:02
by John

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 39 queries.