lump in oesophagus

• 3 Replies

Sgun

lump in oesophagus
« on: April 30, 2017, 19:06 »
Hi everyone, I hope you can help as I can't find any information online for this problem. One of our hens has a lump in her throat (about an inch wide) about half way down to the crop. She has been looking a bit miserable today and seeming to wriggle when she swallows as if she is trying to dislodge something. We turned her at an angle and lots of yellow brown liquid came out so I am wondering if she has managed to get something lodged there. She did eat an egg yesterday - could it be eggshell?

The liquid isn't smelling and the crop feels empty as if she hasn't eaten today. The lump is hard and when I felt under the feathers she does seem a bit thin but its hard to tell as she has always been lean.

Is there anything we can do and do any of you have any experience of this? I am wondering if it might be a tumour. If it was impacted crop would it not be the crop that was large rather than the oesophagus?

Thanks.

She was wormed thoroughly with two rounds of flubenvet which finished about three weeks ago.

Mum2mj

Re: lump in oesophagus
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 20:23 »
Hi sorry to hear you're having trouble.  based on your description I thought sour crop but strange no smell.  It could be anything really your best bet is to take her to a vet if she's still unwell.  Sorry not to be more help

Sgun

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 20:30 »
Thanks Mum2mj we also now think sour crop as we turned her again and after massaging the lump more  liquid came out and was smelly this time, kind of musty acrid smell. I guess we caught it early before it turned too nasty so we will go onto yoghurt tomorrow and have put ACV in the water tonight.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 20:21 »
Thanks Mum2mj we also now think sour crop as we turned her again and after massaging the lump more  liquid came out and was smelly this time, kind of musty acrid smell. I guess we caught it early before it turned too nasty so we will go onto yoghurt tomorrow and have put ACV in the water tonight.
Best of luck let us know how you get on

question
Lump!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 19:30
by Pretty Chick
xx
Lump over eye

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 17:12
by asd1
sad
Lump?!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 18:16
by Vember
xx
New(ish) hen has lump above foot?

Started by sheridan on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 22:16
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.