Hardening off

• 4 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Hardening off
« on: January 21, 2014, 17:30 »
Hi chaps, I intend sowing some tomatoes, peppers etc in a small heated propogator that I bought. I understand that the seedlings should come out pretty soon after they show, I could put them on a wndowsill or take the to the allotment and put them on the greenhouse bench but how and when should I harden them off please ?

I could build a cold frame (I have an old double glazed unit) but I might not be able to get to the allotment every day to open it up so aren't the plants in the same 'environment' as they would be in the grenhouse (ie lots of light and warmth)

Any advice most welcome.

Roger

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Hardening off
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 17:40 »
If you have no heating in the greenhouse, do not even contemplate sowing them now.

My tomatoes destined for the unheated greenhouse are sown indoors in March, moved to a heated greenhouse in April and then an unheated one in May.

I appreciate that you're a little further south, but unless you've got that step in between the propagator and the unheated greenhouse, you need to hold back. Temperatures below 10C at night can permanently stunt tomatoes. 
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:43 »
I totally agree with DD. Start them off in your propagator in March, then remove when showing an inch or so of growth onto a windowsill. Try using a flap of cardboard from a carton, bend one of the longest ends to a right-angle, cover the rest with tinfoil, and place the bent flap under the seed tray at the back so the foil can reflect the light from the window and stops them getting leggy. This starts the hardening-off process too. This should take you up to mid-April or so. Keep an eye on the weather and put in your greenhouse towards the end of April, but be aware that a cold snap will harm them, so bring home again if that happens.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 14:32 »
I don't bother with the cardboard. Foil bent upwards with a nip and tuck in the right place is self-supporting!

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 14:34 »
Ah ... I'm being too impatient, I want to use my new propagator and greenhouse ... plus it's semi tropical in Christchurch (Dorset).

Oh well I'll put sowing off for a while. I might still start a bit early in the knowledge that I might fail and sow some succession seeds. I just remember seeing good strong big tom' plants at a car boot sale April last year (or was it May - memory's going).

Thanks for taking the time - Roger

xx
Hardening off

Started by peanut97 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 08:57
by newbiegrower
xx
Hardening off

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:15
by Yorkie
xx
Hardening off...

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 06:01
by Sadgit
xx
Hardening Off...

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 22, 2013, 23:59
by al78

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.