chickens sleeping in nesting area

• 7 Replies

ryan

chickens sleeping in nesting area
« on: October 12, 2010, 19:22 »
I havre just got my chickens finally after building a house for them i have two hybrids and four pure breeds the problem is the pure breeds are sleeping in the nesting area causing a lot of mess while the hybrids are in the main sleeping area and none of them are going on the raised perch i built for them. it is higher than the nesting area i have wood shavings on the floor just wondered if anyone could give me advice on wether i need to nip this in the bud while they are new to it any advice appreciated

evie2

Re: chickens sleeping in nesting area
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 19:32 »
Hello Ryan and welcome chook keeping :D

It's best to nip it in the bud now by blocking off the nest area at night and open it for laying during the day :D

What pure breeds do you have?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 19:44 »
Hi I have had my chicks for 4 weeks and had same problem.  I left them for a few days to settle and then blocked off nest box, so they started sleeping on floor. I went out several times a night and put them on perches.  Think they got the idea until yesterday when 1  decided to go broody.  Tonight 1 was in nestbox and 2 on floor.  Have moved the 2 on floor but think am losing the battle at the moment.  And I thought men were difficult  :tongue2:
Jinty

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 19:49 »
Yes, try and stop them as soon as possible. Block off the nesting boxes before they go to roost and open them up about an hour after it's gone dark. If they don't go onto the perch just lift them up when they are sleepy as they go into a a trance at night and are a bit lathergic. Try it for a couple of weeks then stop blocking the nesting boxes off and see how it goes. If they roost in the nesting boxes it gets messy ending up with dirty eggs and also its not good for the hens long term health. In the summer months some hens lay at the crack of dawn so blocking off the nesting boxes until following morning is not a good idea.

For info I have been having a battle with one of my hens doing this for the last 6 months and the hens winning so far. I can even hear it legging out of the nest box at night when I walk out to check them. I feel sorry for it to some degree as its at the bottom of the pecking order so probaly goes in the nest box to hide from a thrashing.

ryan

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 20:55 »
Hello Ryan and welcome chook keeping :D

It's best to nip it in the bud now by blocking off the nest area at night and open it for laying during the day :D

What pure breeds do you have?

thanks for the advice i thought id made my mind up before i went to buy the chickens but ended up getting a mixture i have two buff sussex an orpington and a vorwerk as well as the two hybrids

ryan

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 21:03 »
thanks everyone for the advice much appreciated  :D

Dickie73

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 22:02 »
I've got a similar problem. I've had mine (3 hybrids) for two months. I blocked off the nest box initially as recommended and opened it up when the first egg appeared (the following day). Since then, two of the chickens lay their eggs in the main coop - and one in the nest box. Every evening I go down to shut them in and two of them (the ones that lay in the coop)  are always in the nest box and the other one is sitting on the divide bit. I move them into the main coop - one perches, the other two don't. They stay there for the rest of the night so I don't get too much mess in the nest box but it's a pain to have to move them across every evening. I've considered blocking off the nest box late afternoon but I'd have to unblock it when I shut them in (I usually do this when it's dark and they are already inside the coop) just in case they want to lay in it the following morning. Know what you mean about them being difficult! Only one is behaving like a proper chicken!!!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 14:17 »
I'm afraid I just let mine sleep where they want.  Some roost, some snuggle on the coop floor, a couple still head for the nest boxes.  But they are ex batts, so long overdue some freedom of choice.

I don't worry about it, just as easy to clean poop from the next box as anywhere else.  And if you end up with messy eggs, they wipe clean too.  Easier than trying to outwit a determined chicken? :tongue2:

As long as they are happy, I'm happy. :D

xx
chickens sleeping in nesting boxes - advice needed

Started by brownp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:45
by Henlady
xx
nesting box for sleeping

Started by wilson5 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 13:05
by scrappydoo
question
chooks sleeping in nesting boxes

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:53
by slop jockey
xx
Sleeping Chickens

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 18:08
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.