Chicken Run

• 4 Replies

Sparkyrog

Chicken Run
« on: January 25, 2013, 21:40 »
Forgive me if this is in the wrong place ,it's my first post .

After a visit from the local fox :( I plan on ripping up one of my chicken runs ,its not large 4*6 mtrs . I am unsure what would be best as a first crop ,but thinking spuds or possibly brassicas. I would welcome  any and all advice .

Thanks in advance :)
I cook therefore I grow

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken Run
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 22:07 »
Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about your visitor  :(

As you're asking what you can grow on the site of a former chicken run, I'll move your post across to Grow Your Own.

I think we had a similar question recently but can't find it at present - someone else may locate it for you.
Edit: found it:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101613.0

Feel free to pop onto the Welcome forum to introduce yourself for a proper 'hello' from one and all  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 22:09 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

tuckers_luck

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:28 »
Hello Sparkyroq, sorry to hear about the chickens .I am just about to move one of my pens and this leaves me with a fenced off area about 30ft square. As it is obviously well manured and presently weed free I am planning to grow brassicas and squashes the latter on small mounds . You should be able to grow anything especially the plants that like a well fed soil.
Sweetcorn , potatoes courgettes spring to mind I am leaving the wire netting round as it will offer some wind and animal protection, and if I rip it up it will probably be mostly unusable.
On our allotments we have switched to using demolition barriers for our chicken pens and make sure the birds are put away in their houses at night. The only exception is a wired over polytunnel which so far has defeated Mr fox's attempts . Good luck with the crops it can't get anymore difficult than last year!? Regards Phil

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 20:08 »
Thanks was thinking brassicas myself . Had not considered the squashes as I had planned on putting them in the poly tunnel hmm. I also plan on making liquid manure with the assets from the chicken house :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 22:37 »
Got him He wont be back :))

xx
Chicken poo

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:03
by sheridal
xx
What to do with Chicken Poo?

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 13:58
by bigben
xx
chicken poo!

Started by plotnumberseven on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 19:50
by Fisherman
xx
chicken poo

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 06:27
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 38 queries.