Septic tank help

• 18 Replies

grinling

Septic tank help
« on: April 23, 2011, 19:40 »
After considering wood burners I know need advice on septic tanks. Read other topics on this, but how can you tell it needs emptying. The surveyor for this property we are buying sent pictures of the tank/s and they look very full. Property has not be lived in since December. Rainwater goes into it. Should it look full?
Thank you

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Septic tank help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 19:51 »
Unusual for rainwater to go into a septic tank, are you sure?

We had a discussion on this topic a little while ago:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65118.0
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 20:16 »
Our septic tank is out the front and as its been there for 44 years, is getting very porous.  Ours fills up with rainwater from the road all the time!  So yes John they can fill with rainwater! lol

And to answer your question Grinling, no they shouldn't look full up.  If rainwater is getting in like ours, it's probably made of brick and they are getting porous.  As there are just the 2 of us here, and most of the water is rainwater, Brian puts his foul water pump down there and pumps the water across my veg patch or down the bank so it soaks away.

But even if you get them emptied once a year, that is still cheaper than being on mains drainage!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 21:55 »
The surveyor said the guttering goes into it as well. Also said it was originally built for a 3 bed and that we would need to be careful. The picture taken makes it appear full and that web sites say about the soakaways and that it causes probs if they are blocked.
Think we will clear out 1 chamber and see what happens.
Live gets very complicated buying a house in a small village.
Thank you

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 22:22 »
Might it heip in the long run if you got a spec for a storm water soakaway, build one to said spec and run the gutters into it thus saving space in the sceptic tank for foul water.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 22:29 »
Hi Muckshifter, I was going to say the same thing!  the gutters shouldn't go into the septic tank, they should go to a separate soakaway, preferably under the lawn or veg patch.  No wonder it fills up so quickly!

ex-cavator

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 23:49 »
If it's a septic tank (a type of treatment) as opposed to a cess pit (merely a storage tank) then, yes, it should look full.

A cess pit is just a storage tank and has no outlet, so, unless it's leaking, when it gets full you will have to empty it or it overflows. with mildly unpleasant consequences. Addition of rainwater will make it fill up quicker, therefore costing you more for emptying.

A septic tank is a treatment system that anaerobically digests the sewage. Once it is filled, further inlet flow of sewage displaces treated liquor out of an outlet pipe to a soakaway. Hence it will always look full, but that does not mean it needs emptying. As time goes on, it will become more full of sludge leaving less room for liquor, until such time as the effluent coming out of it is sludge rather than liquor. At this point it needs emptying, otherwise the soakaway will become heavily polluted and / or blocked, again with unpleasant (and costly) consequences.

The time taken for it to fill with sludge and require emptying will depend on the size of the tank and the amount of waste it receives, and could be anything from one to several years, but I guess a couple of years would be average.

Whilst it is probably not good practice to allow rainwater / downpipes to feed into it, this will only serve to dilute the liquor within the tank and will not cause it to need emptying any sooner, as rainwater contains no significant organic material and so will not enhance the sludge production in any way  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 09:33 »
In that case, I think ours was a septic tank, but is now a cess pit!  :D

There is tank 1, which when it gets filled overflows into tank 2.  Apparently there is a pipe going from that into the back garden, but when Brian was digging a trench to carry his electric cables to the big shed, he found a very broken very blocked up old pipe, which was probably the one carrying the overflow liquid! ???

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 10:30 »
Might it heip in the long run if you got a spec for a storm water soakaway, build one to said spec and run the gutters into it thus saving space in the sceptic tank for foul water.

A large underground water storage tank with a soakaway for overflow would be even better. :)

grinling

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 13:28 »
The idea is to have the drainpipes go into water butts so I can water the garden and future veg plot.
Could I use shower/bath water for that as well?

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 13:42 »
After considering wood burners I know need advice on septic tanks. Read other topics on this, but how can you tell it needs emptying. The surveyor for this property we are buying sent pictures of the tank/s and they look very full. Property has not be lived in since December. Rainwater goes into it. Should it look full?
Thank you
You're undoubtedly paying your surveyor a considerable amount of money, what does he say about the tank and its fullness? (other than "be careful")..  once you get your survey you should keep going back to him with questions about it until you're clear on every point he's making.  Modern surveys are full of wriggle-room (to make it impossible to sue him for a bad survey) so you'll probably need to cement his feet to the floor and glue the pen in his hands to get anything definitive.. ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 14:12 »
The idea is to have the drainpipes go into water butts so I can water the garden and future veg plot.
Could I use shower/bath water for that as well?

Yes you can. You can get a bathwater diverter system and underground storage tank.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 14:21 »
doesn't 'grey' water go nasty if you store it though ???

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 14:26 »
I guess these purpose made tanks cater for that, don't know a lot about them. I'd also advise using eco soaps etc, but others wouldn't.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 18:05 »
doesn't 'grey' water go nasty if you store it though ???

Something I read just earlier today mentioned grey water.  It said to use eco detergents and to use it soon as it doesn't keep well ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.