Potatoes Re-growing

• 6 Replies

Ginfiz

Potatoes Re-growing
« on: May 25, 2013, 14:35 »
hello, can anyone help me please? We are novice vegetable growers and we left unharvested potatoes in the ground over winter (having taken the leafy growth off with the intention to harvest) and now they have re-grown again producing healthy green growth ,can we continue earthing up and harvest them again and would the potatoes be edible?. they were Cara seed potatoes initially 
any advice about this would be gratefully received, thank you  :D
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
Re: Potatoes Re-growing
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 14:43 »
I have no idea I'm afraid, but am interested in seeing the replies from those that do  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 14:50 »
A recent thread discussed this, and the possibility of blight infection.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=105162.msg1179183#msg1179183

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 14:57 »
Your undug crop is the equivalent of planting a lot of seed potatoes close together, which will probably result in small potatoes due to overcrowding.

It's generally considered to be bad practice to re-grow saved potatoes from any source as any disease may be carried over to the next crop. Blight is of course the biggest danger and there was a lot of it about last year, and no-one will be very pleased with you if you cause an early outbreak in your area.

It's up to you - it's not that easy even for experienced gardeners to tell whether their late spuds have blight or are just dying back naturally - you may well be lucky but I'm afraid that I for one can't recommend it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ginfiz

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 15:04 »
We had no blight last year but we have decided to get them out anyway having read the replies - not to take the chance!
 Very many thanks for the thread links and the advice - I do think however, as they were planted pretty deep that we will have an ongoing battle with "pop-ups"  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 15:05 by Ginfiz »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 15:11 »
I've spent the last hour or so trying to remove volunteer spuds from my garden, which is not easy when they're coming up through the recently emerged parsnips and a sowing of mixed salad leaves, despite having re-dug the area to make sure there were none there!  :ohmy:  ::)

Ginfiz

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 15:16 »
aha!  I am just about to go back out to dig em out myself - our soil is heavy clay and its a bit of a nightmare so great sympathies with you there trying not to clip your new plants whilst nailing the " volunteers" ( should be called ninja tatties, i feel ) :tongue2:

xx
Growing potatoes in a bag

Started by warnie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 21:00
by warnie
xx
Growing potatoes with no dig

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 17, 2018, 20:43
by grinling
xx
Re-growing potatoes

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 20:30
by gobs
xx
growing potatoes

Started by Lucy Danning on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 12:24
by WG.

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 40 queries.