peppers and chillies

• 10 Replies

ranat22

peppers and chillies
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:35 »
can i grow theese outside?.im in the uk north/east!

cheers

bigben

Re: peppers and chillies
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:14 »
Until this year I did not have the use of a greenhouse and so last year started to look for chilli seeds to grow outside. The real seed company http://www.realseeds.co.uk/hotpeppers.html

sell a type called Nigels outdoor chilli which they claim grew ok outside at their base in Wales. I am trying it under a plastic cloche until June when I plan to lift the plastic and just let it grow. I will let you know how it goes.

ranat22

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:19 »
cheers for reply  :)

Beklet

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:41 »
I grew both outside last year and the chillis did well, so well I dug them up and brought them inside for the winter..they're really not looking so good now!!!

Bought a plant from Edible Ornamentals the other week, and I was advised to harden it off towards the end of May - I intend keeping it in a pot then bringing it in at the end of summer, see if that works better....

BarrowBoy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 17:10 »
I grew peppers and chillies last year outside on a windy allotment (Essex) so maybe a bit warmer down here.
i had about 20 chilli plants and 10 pepper plants that produced huge amounts of fruit up until end of September.
Scotch bonnet, habanero, Mexican hot and jalapeno all grew well.

If you want them to have a good chance they need a long growing season, this year buy some established plants from garden centre/ tesco's etc to get a head start, plant them outside stick a large empty water bootle over as protection from cold nights and good luck.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 19:12 »
The outdoor chilli variety may do OK, but your climate will be colder than that where the other members live.

I'd be unconfident about the pepper.

Personally, I'd look to grow them in a sheltered spot, where house or wall warmth can provide an extra boost in temperature.

I don't know if you've left it too late to sow seeds this year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ranat22

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 19:40 »
cheers again for replies.....i have a greenhouse up my allotment...but no handy tap...so to save water for my tomatoes...i have brought my cucumbers,peppers and chillies down to my back garden..

tooo many seeds

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 20:42 »
cheers again for replies.....i have a greenhouse up my allotment...but no handy tap...so to save water for my tomatoes...i have brought my cucumbers,peppers and chillies down to my back garden..
i have 2 in a homebase £9.99 poly greenhouse thingy m bob,they are sweet peppers and now showing first little peppers :D

Sal1610

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 20:46 »
Hi Ranat
I'm also in Durham, and attempting to grow chillis mainly outdoors but I will be able to give them a bit of shelter. It would be good to compare notes as we go along!

I went to the Wensleydale Food Fair at Leyburn last weekend and the bloke on the plant stall said chillis have got off really slowly this year, everything is a little bit behind - that fits in with my experience as my chillis are tiny compared to previous years.

Sal

ranat22

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:22 »
Hi Ranat
I'm also in Durham, and attempting to grow chillis mainly outdoors but I will be able to give them a bit of shelter. It would be good to compare notes as we go along!

I went to the Wensleydale Food Fair at Leyburn last weekend and the bloke on the plant stall said chillis have got off really slowly this year, everything is a little bit behind - that fits in with my experience as my chillis are tiny compared to previous years.

Sal

hi sal..........yea i'll keep you up to date................i grew some beauties last year(jalapeno and scoth bonnet).......fed them on chicken manure(liquid feed and as a dressing on top of the pot)
and the fruit and the plants were absalutly huge...........they were still green really late in the year..and i had to work away...when i got back they had all turned to mush.....shame cos i thought that they woukld have been ok on the plant(dried out)  :(

simonwatson

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 14:35 »
I've generally found that whilst the daytime temperature and sun is good enough for chillies, the nights are just too cold up here, even in summer. It's almost like they get a daily cold shock. Even if they set fruit, it just doesn't seem to ripen in time.

xx
Chillies & peppers

Started by texas on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2017, 18:26
by candygold1
xx
chillies and peppers

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 12:43
by Oliver
xx
Peppers and chillies

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:58
by kermit
xx
Chillies and Peppers

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 10:42
by Growster...

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.