where can i buy a ready assembled chicken run?

• 13 Replies

scottdenny10

where can i buy a ready assembled chicken run?
« on: March 04, 2011, 15:41 »
hi just bought my first chicken have to pick up on  monday. but need to find somewhere i can find a cheap ready assembled chicken run, i live in woking and need it to be delivered.  can anyone help please???

Casey76

Re: where can i buy a ready assembled chicken run?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 16:26 »
Hi Scott :)

Welcome to the world of chickeneering!

I'm slightly concerned that you have bought your first chicken without first having bought a house for her... but what is done is done, and now we shall try to sort things out :)

OK... are you buying only one chicken?  Chickens are sociable creatures and should only really be kept in groups of three or more, though two is OK at a push.  How old is she?

Where will you be keeping them - in your garden or on an allotment?  are you planning on having your chickens free range in this area, or do you want to have a fixed run for them to live in all the time?

Have you also bought the correct food? (layers pellets or mash) A suitable feeder in which to put it?  A waterer?

You can use a shallow pan (old frying pan with a handle removed), or smiliar for feed and water until you buy proper ones for now, but it is important that you have proper chicken food.

You should be aware that most chicken houses will come flat packed, unless they are of superior quality, and if you buy something cheap now, you will probably end up having to replace it in a few months.

In an emergency situation (and that is what I would class this as), I would by a big rabbit hutch, tonight/tomorrow from a big petstore for immediate use, and then try to find more suitable accomodation for your chickens as soon as possible next week.

Most places will take a few days to deliver a chicken coop and run; which is why I'm suggesting a large rabbit hutch for emergency measures... a rabbit hutch certainly isn't the most ideal home for most chickens.

Sorry for all the questions, but you didn't really give us much to go on.  If you give a little more information, you will get more information back :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 16:37 »
to add to what Casey has said the run should be big enough - allowing 2 square meters minimum of clear run space per bird. Also you must find a poultry friendly vet that will treat your chickens before you need one in a hurry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

scottdenny10

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 16:48 »
hi casey thanks for your reply, we have an out building to keep her in and have  a massive back garden for her to run about in during the day its just we would like  to have a run for her security. she is a miss pepperpot. we have took her on as she,s with a another chicken she does,nt get on with at moment. and we intend to get some ex battery chickens in near future. she is around a year old and we have bought her corn and layered pellets and hay, we have also put up some perches for her, we will have her free range. we do have a rabbit hutch already but she is allready being kept in a outbuilding so think she,d prefere to stay in one. i hope this info more helpfull tro you to help me ,lol, regards scott.

scottdenny10

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 17:18 »

[/quote] i bought hay as was advised to buy hay or straw as was told they like bedding on it also the person i have bought it off uses shredded paper. what would you suggest i use?

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 17:29 »
I was given some Aubiose (hemp based horse bedding) with the chickens, but am now trying woodshavings: a huge bale from a discount pet supplies store.  The chickens seem to like both and coop cleaning has been very easy (& not too revolting!)
ManicMum

scottdenny10

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 17:37 »
ok folks thanks for that info very usefull did not know that about hay. can anyone recommend a place that sells preassembled runs that can deliver and hopefully quite cheap :dry:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 17:46 »
Try E##y - but look carefully at what is offered for the price.  If you search "nearest first" (I've tried this & found a couple of local places), you might find someone local you could speak to &/or visit to check what you're getting.

Where are you in the world?  That might help all the widespread expertise on this forum provide more specific help.

scottdenny10

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 17:53 »
Try E##y - but look carefully at what is offered for the price.  If you search "nearest first" (I've tried this & found a couple of local places), you might find someone local you could speak to &/or visit to check what you're getting.

Where are you in the world?  That might help all the widespread expertise on this forum provide more specific help.
i am in woking surrey

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 19:14 »
Is it something like this you're looking for?

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 12:13 »
Scott - have a look at the thread "New Coop" in Chicken Chat - everyone seems to approve the Happy Chicks coop which was delivered to Katey.....

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 16:08 »
If all you need is a cheap temporary run for the moment, for one bird, look for a wire cage dog run on eBay. You can get one for around £20 but it's only a temporary solution and will not provide fox protection.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 16:15 »
Omlet!  Their hen coops and runs are easy to set up by yourself and they are delivered, complete with hens if you wish  :D 

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 16:39 »
Omlet!  Their hen coops and runs are easy to set up by yourself and they are delivered, complete with hens if you wish  :D 

I think cheap was the operative word :)

xx
How can you tell when a chicken is ready to lay eggs

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 10:54
by Oliveview
xx
I think im ready

Started by Louise on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 09:10
by Selkie
xx
Nearly Ready..

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 19:24
by blulagoo
xx
When Will Mum Be Ready to Separate?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 16:13
by joyfull

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 37 queries.