Plucky Chickens make bid for freedom

• 10 Replies

mad alice

Plucky Chickens make bid for freedom
« on: July 29, 2011, 22:50 »
First of all hello to everyone! As my name suggests I am as mad as a hatter!
I finally got my chickens on Wednesday after a lifetime of wanting them. In years gone by I have had the odd hen adopt a pony or two at various farms where I've stabled my ponies and years ago I had a battery hen adopt me in her bid for freedom. But those  days when hens roamed farmyards and verges are long gone it would seem. I recently acquired a smallholding for my ponies and it included a lovely old hen shed. We cleaned it our and erected a run. We didn't realise that hens could squeeze through such tiny holes and we soon realised that the strong wire fence we had erected was going to be useless in keeping them in. We then lined it with finer chicken wire to a height of 3ft and were amazed to find they could still fly easily over the 5ft fence. One hen refused to be caught. She ran like an ostrich across a hay field and completely vanished into a heavily overgrown ditch between two fields. In hot pursuit I was astonished that she had disappeared into thin air! I spent the next 2 hours sitting in the field in case she broke cover. My daughter also visited at dusk but there was absolutely no sign of her. We are going to enclose the run tomorrow with chicken wire to prevent the others from escaping. We are so worried about the hen. They are Black rocks. We were advised they were quiet birds but these seem to be very contrary indeed. They try to bolt every time we open the hen house door to feed then. They sqwark and run to the opposite end of the hen house when I go in. They refuse to eat or be tempted until I close the door on them. Will the remaining hens become tamer? They are 22 weeks old. Do you think it is likely we may find the other hen? I would appreciate any advice please. They laid 2 eggs this morning so they couldn't have been too upset could they?
Alice
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 23:19 by mad alice »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Plucky Chickens make bid for freedom
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 22:10 »
Welcome Alice.

We have 4 Black Rocks and they were a bit flighty before they started to lay.  Little Miss Sunshine managed to fly up onto a branch of our silver birch tree.  When I measured it and it was 7 feet high so 5 foot is no problem for them.  Road Runner is still a bit flighty but they are all friendly and inquisitive.  You might need a landing net of some sorts to catch your runaway.  If you know her favourite treat try tempting her out.  Make sure you put a water feeder out for her and maybe a feeder with pellets.  If you notice her feeding and can't catch her just keep putting the water and feeder out but gradually closer to their enclosure.

Let us know how you get on.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mad alice

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 20:36 »
After 2 days of freedom the errant hen returned this morning. As I arrived I spotted her scratching near the stables. When I got over to the spot where I had seen her she had disappeared! I stood and listened and heard a soft rosey and there she was in the stable ! Quick as a flash I bolted the stable door and rang for reinforcements. It took a while to catch her but I did! She is now happy enough with her sisters. Happy ending! Not a bit grateful though!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 23:21 by mad alice »

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 22:16 »
Well done for catching her!  Must admit my flighty birds tend to be the white ones haven't had probs with the others.  Good luck keeping her contained!

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 23:09 »
Great outcome.   :D

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 13:44 »
Great news! 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:04 »
I have an Exchequer Leghorn pullet who amazes me with her climbing antics. She escaped twice and we managed to get her back (we live next to a river so there is a mink risk), so we clipped one wing.  I went to feed them the other day - no sign of our girl. Next thing there are leaves dropping on my head and there she was - sitting on the crossbar between one shed and the next, eating the young shoots of my willow tree. The Crossbar is well over 10 feet high and I haven't got a clue how she got up there as there's nothing below it in which to juump from!

I'm so glad you got your girl back as when they go missing it doesn't bear thinking about what could happen.

mad alice

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 23:26 »
Its now almost a week since we got the birds and I'm happy to report they are all doing well. They have settle nicely into a routine and today we had 3 eggs! I think Hendini (The disappearing chicken)has still to lay! They all march up the ramp and into bed without any fuss whatsoever now, which is a great improvement! I am enjoying them very much but they have yet to bond with me! I sat I the run for nearly an hour today but they all ignored me!

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 23:34 »
Ours follow me round when I poo pick, they are hoping I will unearth a tasty morsel for them.  If you just potter around in their enclosure not attempting to approach them they will soon get accustomed to you.  :)

Dominic

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:48 »
Highest mine have got is a "Black Bin" in one leap
They could escape my garden quite easily, but seem to have no interest in doing so.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

rachelr

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04 »
take a handful or defrosted sweetcorn in and sprinkle near where you are sitting. They absolutely adore it and will eventually eat fromyour hands to get some.

Mine took about two weeks to eat from my hands so dont worry too much. The need to make sure you are one of them and not an outsider they are country girls at the end of the day????????? lol

xx
First taste of freedom + picture

Started by carolbriar on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 18:58
by grumpydad
xx
I need to make a decision!

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 17:50
by jinty1911
xx
eggs make you slim!

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 21:26
by RuthLG
xx
Weeds make me sad/happy/sad

Started by Lindeggs on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 10:37
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.