Pruning Sloes

• 7 Replies

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Pruning Sloes
« on: June 15, 2010, 13:43 »
I've got a nice row of Sloe bushes down one side of the path, they are getting a bit big, anybody know anything about pruning sloes? They have fruited for the first time this year at 3 years old and I want that to continue . Any advice anyone Ta
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

8doubles

Re: Pruning Sloes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 14:03 »
Blackthorn is a very tough plant so you are unlikely to upset it, if you see what a tractor flail does to farm hedges you would not expect them to survive but they do. :)

Thick gloves are a must as blackthorn often has a covering of green slime that can cause nasty infections.

Bigfatsi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 14:05 »
Sorry if off-topic but how much fruit comes from a few bushes? I'd love to have some sloes or damsones every year for gin-making!  :D

Simon

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 15:45 »
I planted a hedgerow with 40 sloe twigs thinking we would loose most as they looked half dead at planting last year.

39 grew and I dont have the heart to thin them out so its going to be very full bush LOL  :lol:

I will trim them slightly into bush form in the autumn, I dont intend on being that gentle. They are on the second year.

Looking forward to sloe jelly in a few years time  ;)

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 14:38 »
I planted a hedgerow with 40 sloe twigs thinking we would loose most as they looked half dead at planting last year.

39 grew and I dont have the heart to thin them out so its going to be very full bush LOL  :lol:

I will trim them slightly into bush form in the autumn, I dont intend on being that gentle. They are on the second year.

Beetroot Queen - found this old post which interested me. Have you ever tried Sloe Jelly. If so was it savory or sweet.

Regards

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 21:18 »

Beetroot Queen - found this old post which interested me. Have you ever tried Sloe Jelly. If so was it savory or sweet.

Regards

we eat sloe jelly all the time, its a sweet jelly but it needs to go with a savoury dish, really yummy with roast, meat and nut roast, sausages etc

I have about 40lb of sloes in the freezer at the moment and they will all go for sloe jelly  :D

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 23:48 »
40lb of sloes in the freezer at the moment and they will all go for sloe jelly

Blimey, you must like sloes. I made 2lbs of apple and sloe jam last year and it had an unusually 'dry' texture and flavour. Not unpleasant but I prefer plum or blackcurrant.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:03 »
40lb of sloes in the freezer at the moment and they will all go for sloe jelly

Blimey, you must like sloes. I made 2lbs of apple and sloe jam last year and it had an unusually 'dry' texture and flavour. Not unpleasant but I prefer plum or blackcurrant.

I sell some jars so they are not all for us  :tongue2:

xx
No Sloes (again?)

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 09:48
by Beetroot Queen
xx
sloes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 10:07
by Salmo
xx
Sloes

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 15:11
by fallen angel
xx
Sloes vs Damsons

Started by codheadred on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 15:06
by tosca100

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.