Vitax 6X Fertiliser

• 6 Replies

fatferret

Vitax 6X Fertiliser
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:31 »
As per my thread in the 'Welcome' forum I have just taken on a half plot. Pretty overgrown and weed ridden.  I am hand weeding and digging the beds initially and will be doing what I can to improve the soil as and when I can. It is heavy clay and there isn't much evidence of any added matter. At home I generally apply my riddled/sieved compost leftovers (the large bits), spent compost from my greenhouse pottings, lay down cardboard etc. I was thinking that in addition I might add some sharp sand to aid drainage?

I will be making use of a mixture of shredded hemp and chicken poo from home when I have enough well rotted to apply (or may put some down over winter). I am trialling using shredded hemp as a mulch/barrier too.

At the moment I do not have a ready supply manure and am wary of aminopyralid - so was thinking about trying out Vitax 6X this season on the plot to fertilize. Does anyone have any experience of this stuff? Is it worthy of it's price?

Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Vitax 6X Fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 21:13 »
It's good stuff, yes, but I wouldn't apply it liberally across the whole plot.  Instead, I'd use it in a more targeted way when planting plants out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daveylamp

• happy planter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03 »
having spent the last few years on heavy clay soil... for what its worth ...plenty of compost. grass cuttings, old manure, straw and spent hops dug in in September.. if its not a swamp by then
 had 1 ton of sharp sand dug into the top spit and every year compost bins emptied on.
last season didnt use any manure and its now reverted back to clay.
but having said all that its good for sprouts, cabbage, caulies, keeps them tight and hard. and its fertile and good to grow on wouldnt want it any other way
 as for vitax a pinch under plants when planting out works wonders.
best of luck and nice to have a fellow clay buster on the site.
dave
I'll beat this heavy clay yet. now almost there works well now

fatferret

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:21 »
Thanks for the replies.

I managed to source some organic 'orse business at the weekend full o worms it is. Seems like lovely stuff and the the guy seemed knowledgeable on the dangers of persistent weed killers etc... I have 5 decent sacks of well rotted and 8 of fresh.  I shall use the fresh to get a compost heap started (when I have built  something to hold it) and apply the well rotted to the beds where the veg will tolderate manure. I will be going back for more - he had plenty!

I may use a bit of the fresh in a mound for pumpkins. I'll order some Vitax today and use it as per your recommendations - looks like online is the best I can find it (2 for £22 inc delivery for the 15kg sacks) - Otherwise it is £15 a sack at Wyevale.

I've been using shredded hemp on the veg beds at home, it seems to deter the slugs a bit (well slows the * down).

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 20:50 »
What are its advantages over Growmore, which I can buy for £14 per 25kg?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 20:55 »
6X is organic Growmore isn't - that's all  ;)
One feeds/improves the soil the other one just the plants.

harry

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:59 »
I'm on my third year with 6x and wouldn't use anything else. One of the plot holders orders for us. The more we order the cheaper it is £9 this year. :D
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

xx
Vitax fertiliser and spuds and shade

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 00:44
by Trillium
xx
Vitax

Started by magry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 12:05
by magry
xx
My choice of Fertiliser is 6X Natural Fertiliser . Would like Opinions please

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 18:57
by Totty
xx
Anyone used Q4 Vitax multi-purpose?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 19:06
by cissie

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 40 queries.