Preparing soil for carrots

• 30 Replies

Lottie Mary

Preparing soil for carrots
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:53 »
I've not grown carrots before and have allocated a small bed on my allotment for them this year.  I've read a lot about how the soil needs to be fine so that they don't fork, but am hoping for some advice about how to achieve this fineness.  A neighbour of mine has very kindly tilled the soil for me, but shall I add some sand to make it finer?

I have two varieties of carrot seed, both from the Real Seed Catalogue: Long Lisse de Meaux and Giant Red.

Also, by putting onions in between carrot rows, does this really ward off carrot fly?

Thanks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Preparing soil for carrots
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:07 »
I already have sandy soil, so can't advise on soil prep, but as for the onions & carrots theory................it sounds nice but doesn't work for me :(
Fine mesh/net curtains on a frame or hoops does work, just make sure there are no gaps ..anywhere :ohmy:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:38 »
There is a difference betwen "tilling the soil" and fineness.  Tilling introduces air into the soil but fineness refers to the granular structure and lack of (large) stones. 

I think a session with a garden riddle (sieve) is what you need.  Do not remove every stone as these are required to hold moisture.  I think you can spend more time on ensuring you plant the carrot sees thinly, this will reduce the need to thin out later and attract the carrot fly, you could plant a row of onion sets each side.   ::) Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Gravedigger

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 13:10 »
I already have sandy soil, so can't advise on soil prep, but as for the onions & carrots theory................it sounds nice but doesn't work for me :(
Fine mesh/net curtains on a frame or hoops does work, just make sure there are no gaps ..anywhere :ohmy:
Does this need a roof too?  A neighbour of ours said to plant carrots in planters on top of something because carrot fly cannot fly high but I'm not sure and am going to try in a raised bed 1st

maxyboo

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 13:20 »
I have only grownn carrots a few times but when I tried interplanting with onions it didn't seem to help. It won't do any harm though. Last year I planted my carrots in a large square area and fashioned a cover to sit around it out of bamboo sticks and fleece. I am sure this made a difference. (Until it blew away)! I think it needs to be a metre high to deter carrot fly. I didn't put a roof on it. I think  Kleftiwallah is right that planting thinly will deter carrot fly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 13:41 »
planting thinly doesn't deter it, it just means you don't release carrot 'smell' by thinning so  don't attract as many ;) But every time you pick a few the same smell is released :(

On our site we have to cover completely for total avoidance of fly, they can't fly high but are lifted by gusts of wind.
So, it is up to you how much risk you are prepared to take ;)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 14:53 »
I plant thinly and don't pull carrots until they're close to mature, but the carrot flies still find mine, even planted beside onions. We don't get carrot fly as bad over here, but they're still around and do damage. When you've a small planting, it's annoying to lose even a few. I'd highly recommend a total net covering over some sort of hoop arrangement which I'm sure you've seen at allotments and home gardens. it needs to be only 2 ft high, 3 ft max, to be the most effective. Debris netting is the netting of choice, fine enough so the pests can't wiggle through yet allow rain, etc.

For soil, dig a narrow trench, sieve that soil and mix with sand. mark it out and plant with carrots, which is the fastest solution each year.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 15:11 »
If the soil has had a basic cultivation then just concentrate on getting a fine seedbed that is not compacted.

First rule is keep your feet off it.

Second rule is never fight nature. If there are too many lumps that will not shatter with a rake then leave it a day or two. A rain shower helps.

Third rule is to start with the top layer and gradually work downwards. Avoid pulling lumps of wet soil up from underneath.

If you have drawn out a furrow and the soil seems very dry take a can of water and dribble it along the bottom to make it damp. Sow your seed on to the damp and pull dry soil over. On light soil tamp the row down with the back of a rake to ensure good contact between soil and seed.

If you need to sift the soil you are a desperate man.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 16:36 »
Can carrot root fly get through debris netting ?

andy135

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 16:53 »
Can carrot root fly get through debris netting ?

Yes it can and will do.
You need something much finer like fleece or net curtains.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 18:25 »
or enviromesh  :)

andy135

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 18:37 »
or enviromesh  :)

Thanks Mum, I always get confused between enviromesh and envirofleece.  ::)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 19:13 »
A chap on our allotment told me today, he'd recently found out the carrot fly larvae, overwinter in the soil. Once they are there, they are there  :blink:. Fleece & net curtains don't help. Can anyone elaborate on this?  I'm also in the throws of sorting out my carrot & onion beds 

andy135

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 19:35 »
A chap on our allotment told me today, he'd recently found out the carrot fly larvae, overwinter in the soil. Once they are there, they are there  :blink:. Fleece & net curtains don't help. Can anyone elaborate on this?  I'm also in the throws of sorting out my carrot & onion beds 

I don't know if they do but, if you rotate your crops then that should avoid the problem and after three or four years when you come to grow carrot there, the fly should've died off.......................I think.

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 00:27 »
I just wondered? How do commercial growers of carrots combat carrot fly? They can't use acres of mesh?

xx
Preparing soil again ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:41
by peapod
xx
Preparing soil

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 11:40
by peapod
xx
preparing ground for carrots

Started by Helencroft on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 21:43
by sunshineband
xx
sweetcorn - preparing the soil

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 17:15
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.