Rhubarb leaves gone

• 29 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Rhubarb leaves gone
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 16:25 »
I reckon rhubard is on the list for what survives after total disaster like ants and cockroaches.

I found a manky old crown of rhubarb on my OH's overgrown plot when he took it over. I dug it up and salvaged 3 small pieces of half decent stuff to replant. The 3 crowns are over 1m width each now and it's turbo rhubarb.  It puts new leaves out in January every year and is at least 1 month ahead of anything else on the site. Last year it was up when all the snow came, shrugged that off and still grew like triffids. Half the site have picking rights just to try and keep it under control  :ohmy:

What a shame plant breeders can't cross it with things like parsnips - I'd love it if my parsnips showed the same determination to survive.   :blink:

If we could grab that gene for growth which veg would you add it to for better results?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 16:39 »
Imagine if you could get asparagus growing as vigorously as rhubarb - yum  I've been waiting 2 years now for my crowns to establish and I can still only pick a bit this spring  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 16:45 »
Imagine if you could get asparagus growing as vigorously as rhubarb - yum  I've been waiting 2 years now for my crowns to establish and I can still only pick a bit this spring  :(

Now there's a thought... 8)

I have two (it might be 3) crowns of asparagus and, although we love eating asparagus (we buy it in season from the supermarket), mine is only ever used for its ferny leaves when I cut flowers for home. It was given to me by the chap on the next plot and at the time I had only one spot for it to go - right close up next to the shed with the chrysanths.

A touch of rhubarb vigor might get it going well enough to have a crop to eat  ;)

gizooty

• howdy....
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 17:17 »
after reading this..

i just stole sopme of my moms that was in a tub..
but i chopped it, will that kill it?
its in a bag in the car now as was gona plant it.. but ran out of light..

so should i just leave it on the ground in my yard till jan?
plant it on monday(as im busy tommoz)
what?
it has no leaves, its just like... the root bit..
7 dogs, 4cats, 4hens,2bunnies,1pony and a parrot... AND half a plot.. hehe i think I HAVE LOST the plot..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 17:23 »
No way have you killed it - honestly in the event of a world disaster it will be ants, cockroaches and rhubarb recolonising the planet. Plant it Monday and it will be fine.

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 17:31 »
No way have you killed it - honestly in the event of a world disaster it will be ants, cockroaches and rhubarb recolonising the planet. Plant it Monday and it will be fine.

I'd add to that list: rats and foxes too  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 17:38 »
But not parsnips   ;)  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 17:51 »
No, no....not parsnips - they're nice........especially when the darned things grow!  >:(

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 18:45 »
Believe me, rhubarb is like a weed >:(.  You can't kill it :tongue2:.  Actually, if you want to move your rhubarb, now is the time to do it.  YOU WILL NOT KILL IT :)  Now then, repeat after me "I CANNOT KILL IT" :D.

How very true.... one tiny bit left in the ground (or on it) and you have another wonderful plant romping away in the Spring. Heaven knows why it is so dear to buy a rooted plant!  :blink:

Absolutely - I grew from seed this year in late Spring (against common advice) - all germinated, grew on easily in pots and now ready to plant out 3 large roots (recently died back).  Can highly recommend it (maybe good for rhubarb here tho: wet and not too hot?).

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 18:48 »
Believe me, rhubarb is like a weed >:(.  You can't kill it :tongue2:.  Actually, if you want to move your rhubarb, now is the time to do it.  YOU WILL NOT KILL IT :)  Now then, repeat after me "I CANNOT KILL IT" :D.

How very true.... one tiny bit left in the ground (or on it) and you have another wonderful plant romping away in the Spring. Heaven knows why it is so dear to buy a rooted plant!  :blink:

Absolutely - I grew from seed this year in late Spring (against common advice) - all germinated, grew on easily in pots and now ready to plant out 3 large roots (recently died back).  Can highly recommend it (maybe good for rhubarb here tho: wet and not too hot?).

We're not able to kill it with our West Sussex sunny climate.... tried but it still grew!  ;)

solway cropper

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 21:44 »
Please sir, I killed a rhubarb crown  :(

bought it pot grown from Homebase, bunged it in the ground and it just rotted. It was in a corner of the garden that gets very wet in winter so I reckon drowning is the only way to get rid of it :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 23:11 »
Please sir, I killed a rhubarb crown  :(

bought it pot grown from Homebase, bunged it in the ground and it just rotted. It was in a corner of the garden that gets very wet in winter so I reckon drowning is the only way to get rid of it :)

By George! I think you've cracked it! Congratulations..

Sounds ideal.... My usually warm, mild climate with a few frosts won't dent it.
Wet is obviously the answer - wet and more wet and cold too.

It could be a long way to cycle to bring my unwanted one up to where you are though!

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51 »
Oh dear, maybe I shouldnt have just moved it from its nice free-draining bucket into the soggy end of our garden  :blink:

Still stand by using seeds though  8)  Ive kept some young plants in pots as backup.  I think every seed successfully germinated...

harry

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 12:37 »
This year we bought two crowns from a garden centre and put them in big pots in the garden got loads of rhubarb. My new allotment has a big rhubarb plot. Its supposed to have asparagus as well but i can't find it. What does it look like :wub: :blush: :nowink: :wacko:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 17:30 »
Don't think it looks like anything at the moment Harry ...

Wait until spring when the leaves are ferny / frondy (I think)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by DonnaM on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 10:20
by noshed
xx
rhubarb leaves

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 20:17
by David.
xx
A use for rhubarb leaves?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 09:55
by Goldfinger
xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:42
by pistonbroke

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 39 queries.