Cold evenings and harvesting squash and pumpkins

• 3 Replies

Yana

Cold evenings and harvesting squash and pumpkins
« on: September 10, 2013, 13:23 »
I don't want all my hard work thus far to end up with mushy squash and pumpkins so should I be harvesting and storing them now?
They have been left on bricks, slates and other items to get them off the ground and with their stalk uppermost so getting the sun to almost all the outer skin. The pumpkins have gone from green to orange, the butternuts are a deeper yellow and the Turks turban are a beautiful orange colour too with white and dark green strips on the round bit. The pumpkins and Turks turban sound hollow when I tap them.
It's getting nippy in the evenings and mornings and some mornings there is heavy dew that doesn't dry off the fruits all day. There are signs of the main plant stem drying out and the bit where the fruit is attached to the main plant stem is drying out too (gone from green to light brown).
Should I be bringing them indoors now to finish curing before finally storing them in the garage over the winter?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cold evenings and harvesting squash and pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 13:37 »
I leave mine out until the first frosts are forecast - unless the whole plant dies. The longer they have to ripen on the plant the better for taste and storage.

The stem handles of the squash start to crack and go corky when they are getting properly ripe, as well as the squash changing colour.

Yana

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 17:19 »
Thanks MoS. I am such a worrier  :( I just don't want to loose them after getting them this far. I must learn to be patient and the taste will be all the better for it

gobs

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 22:32 »
Mum knows best, she is absolutely correct. 8)

May I add, that those, that sound hollow with a good colour and dry stalk are ready, nothing needs worrying or doing about them.

Apart from the brick, straw is the word. To keep some not ready as yet fruit dry, cosy and warm in the autumn. And yes, frosts make them sweeter, it's worth leaving them winter squash out for a while.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Harvesting Courgettes?

Started by Rizo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

82 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 14:43
by Growster...
xx
Chillis - harvesting and storage

Started by ambodach on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2022, 06:17
by Growster...
xx
JAM PUMPKINS

Started by compostqueen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 10:52
by compostqueen
xx
Can anything be done with unripe pumpkins?

Started by Oscar Too on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 13:04
by Oscar Too

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.