Help! I think my favourite has Mareks!

• 18 Replies

pepsi100

Re: Help! I think my favourite has Mareks!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 20:29 »
It was for the better I think, hope the rest are okay though
It's all about the journey, not the destination

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15 »
so sorry to read that, the action you took was the correct one - ask questions, read up and get prompt vet treatment. Sadly in this case this had an unhappy ending but you made the right decision. Keep a close eye on your others to see if they start to come down with it, fingers crossed they don't xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 15:41 »
Just to add that I lost a cockerel to Mareks over a year ago and fortunately my hens have not shown any signs of it ( I have been watching them very carefully).   The vet did say that they were unlikely to contract it at this stage because they were mature - also I got the cockerel from a completely different breeder. It was awful to see such a fine bird put down - we thought he had injured his leg at first but after not being able to spot anything obviously wrong with his leg I took him to the vet. Horrible way to go.

PaulineM

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 19:41 »
Hi
I found this 'cure' for Mareks on another site, and yes my first thought was 'herbal'  :nowink:
But I suppose if you only had a couple of birds and they started showing signs of Mareks you might want to give it a go  :unsure:

It was taken from backyardchickens.com-
 Despite what you may have heard, there IS a cure for Marek's Disease. It is a homeopathic remedy called "Hypericum." Hypericum is a small creeping herb that, when used hollistically, numbs nerves and dulls pain. When given to a bird suffering from the symptoms of Marek's Disease, it will cure the bird by working on the theory that "like cures like," in other words, by giving the bird the symptoms it will take the symptoms away. I've used this herb with great success to fully cure birds of Marek's Disease. You can fnd Hypericum at health food stores, $8 for 100 tablets. Hypericum must be diluted before it can be used:

- 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED water per tablet Hypericum (must be distilled water, tap water is ionized and will deactivate the Hypericum)
 - MUST be mixed in a GLASS or PLASTIC bowl (metal with react with the water and herb)
 - drip 5-10 drops (bantam) or 10-15 drops (large fowl) on the afflicted bird's tongue. Be sure the bird rubs its beak together because the Hypericum MUST touch the sinuses (located on the roof of the mouth) in order to work
 - treat every 12 hours (morning and night) with a fresh batch
 - recovery may be as quick as 1 day or as slow as several months

The treatment works best if you begin treating early. If you delay treatment, the Hypericum may not work or it may be a very slow recovery. IF YOU OVERDOSE YOUR BIRDS ON HYPERICUM, don't worry. The bird will exhibit extreme symptoms, and make a drastic improvment within a 24 hours. Hypericum is also helpful for pain. Only treat birds that are showing symptoms.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

xx
Mareks

Started by T C on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 16:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
mareks ?????

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 19:01
by barley
xx
Mareks questions

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 16:15
by grumpydad
xx
Help!!! Could it be Mareks disease?

Started by flocko on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 17:31
by cheekymouse

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 39 queries.