rich tomato, poor tomato

• 2 Replies

missmoneypenny

rich tomato, poor tomato
« on: June 15, 2013, 19:30 »
I put my toms into the allotment 3 weeks ago. I also held on to 8 plants and put them in pots in my back yard.
The ones in the allotment look like they are just about holding onto life- puny, yellow tipped leaves and spindly stems. The ones in the back yard are verdant, strong, prosperous looking.
The seeds were all planted on the same day, into the same compost and put on the same windowsill.
I'll admit, the ones in the yard are mostly tumbler, those at the lottie black russian and ferline. But i also have some black russian in pots in my yard and they look butch.
I'm thinking maybe the allotment is not a great place for toms, they can't handle the wind, they prefer the more sheltered environment of my back yard. Last year 90% of the lottie toms succumbed to blight, the ones that stayed home were fine.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: rich tomato, poor tomato
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 19:37 »
Yep - the only toms on my plot that are doing (sort of) ok have protection from the wind - we're on a hill a mile from the coast and the wind is often something to behold. In my back garden - half a mile from the coast and a little lower - they all look pretty happy.
To be honest - I suspect I'd be a little stroppy if I was being buffeted by the wind all the time.
Having said that - I always grow far too many toms from seed - so any I get from the lottie are a bonus (and thinking about it i should save the seed as they might be blight and wind tolerant/resistant)

Cheers,
Balders

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: rich tomato, poor tomato
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 20:03 »
Much the same here, it's much too windy on the allotment  :(
Much more sheltered in my garden, I won't try planting any on the plot again - it's just not worth the space!

xx
Poor Tomato & Cucumber crops

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2022, 11:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Calcium rich compost?

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 22:04
by Bernard
xx
Manure rich soil

Started by Ethel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 15:11
by mumofstig
xx
lime rich soil

Started by geddall on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 23:43
by Salmo

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 40 queries.