HELP! URGENT! VERY ILL CHICKEN! - WORMS?

• 5 Replies

jesschocolate28

HELP! URGENT! VERY ILL CHICKEN! - WORMS?
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:54 »
my chicken has roundworm(we think), we've been on holiday so have only just realised, there seems to be quite a lot of worms in her poo- she is being given water by syringe and is eating corn(but reluctantly) she can just about stand and hobble a few steps, shes making weird sqwarking noises and her comb is quite black, dull & floopy. WHAT CAN WE DO TO MAKE HER WELL AGAIN??? PLEASE HELP:(
Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there?   I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its butt."   Minnie&Bonnie<3

orchardlady

Re: HELP! URGENT! VERY ILL CHICKEN! - WORMS?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:59 »
It is a positive sign that she is eating and drinking. If you can worm her use Flubenvet as it's the only one that will work properly. Try to contact your vet for this as it may take a few days (that you clearly don't have) to arrive by post. You can medicate her by putting some on a grape or by mixing it into her corn with a little cod liver oil/corn oil/ olive oil to make it stick. However if she has a very dark comb it may be that her heart is not functioning properly. I would highly recommend that you take her to your vet asap.

Orchardlady.

jesschocolate28

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 13:22 »
thanks. we have found some Flubenvet in our shed from buying it a while ago, we have mixed it in with their food and are giving her 2 syringes of water every 30mins. I'm not sure if the vet near me treats chickens, but I'm calling up now just to double check that it's only worms and not something to do with her heart as you said. we are keeping our chickens in their enclosure for a week or so so  that they definately have the medication, and so that my other chicken without worms will not pick up worms from the garden & slow the treatment down.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 13:23 »
Chx should be wormed routinely in mid summer (June) two months either side  (end Mar & end Aug) and in mid winter (Dec or Jan) not just when you notice a problem.  If you rotate the ground on which your birds range every 6 weeks or so you can reduce this programme to once or twice a year or as needed after checking for worm eggs in their droppings.
HF
Truth through science.

jesschocolate28

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 13:36 »
We were going to worm them before, but our chickens werent old enough, they are just old enough now:) So now they we're starting the worming rountinely. Their enclosure, house & nesting box is fixed in a certain position on bark and soil, however they range freely in our garden daily aswell:) We have reasearched and have discovrered that if the worms have infested her very very badly, it can cause her passages to block ect. and this can lead to a black comb. Thanks for the help:)

HarperHen

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 14:17 »
Take her to the Vets immediately and they will give her Ivermectin shot in the back of her neck. Don't wait or she will die :(

xx
Chicken with bad worms?

Started by Chicken Lickin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:32
by bantam novice
xx
Chicken worms and composting

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 11:36
by ANHBUC
xx
Think my new chicken is poorly with worms - what to do

Started by HelenMckenzie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 12:34
by compostqueen
xx
Help with chicken please - urgent

Started by wyandotty on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 19:25
by bubs

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 35 queries.