Lula has lost her voice

• 2 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Lula has lost her voice
« on: July 30, 2011, 06:41 »
Hi! yes it is peacefull here now but I am not sure why the squawking has stopped, just over a week ago we had two days of softies and then she was quite poorly for one day but she has perked up and is eating fine and running around, maybe not her usual boisterous self but as she is over 3 and an ex free range hen, so i expected the end of lay for her (the other hen stopped laying a few months ago) but since this she has been nearly silent, and for a hen which would continually squawk as soon as you came home, or you were spotted in the house or she even just heard the toilet flush! it is strange and now very quiet- I didn't think I would miss the noise but I do, I wonder if anyone else has had this happen?

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Lula has lost her voice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:51 »
Has she actually lost her voice - i.e. she tries to make a sound but can't?  Or has she just lost the motivation to be chatty?

My Light Sussex had a respiratory infection.  When the vet looked down her throat with a kind of probe thing with a light on it, he said her vocal cords had been damaged.  It meant she made the strangest noise - more like a duck's quack than a chicken sound.  She still has a permanently husky voice, despite having recovered from the infection some months ago.

If you mean Lula just isn't as chatty as she was, perhaps she's still just feeling a little poorly?  Or maybe hormonal changes mean she doesn't have the urge to speak out any more?

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Lula has lost her voice
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:16 »
morning,(or evening not sure what time it is in new zealand) she has made a couple of small sounds but thats it, i did wonder if it was to do with her stopping laying and hormones, because the other hen now squeals rather than her puttering sound since shes got older, so do all hens sounds change as they get older?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:24 by sneezer »

xx
Losing her voice.

Started by MellowYellow on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 08:50
by MellowYellow
xx
i got bluebelle..... and elvis has found his voice

Started by babe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 22:59
by slowef
xx
just lost fav hen

Started by iowrooster on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 20:54
by grumpydad
xx
A sad lost

Started by em&hens on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 13:16
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 34 queries.