natural foods

• 22 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: natural foods
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 17:37 »
Not much food value in pasta and rice I'm afraid, just carbs.  Not too many sultanas either, very high in sugar :(

karlooben

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 17:43 »
i have dropped the amount they get of this stuff to just once a week as a treat  as i dont want them getting fat or anything  and i try to hand pick as much grass from around the allotment site as much as poss thats why i cant wait for the summer as i can grow them very fresh veges that i knwo they will love   :D i think they are missing not having any marrows to attack  :tongue2:.

but can i ask this a friend of mine gave me a bag of meal worms { she got it at Christmas } but the small birds in her garden wont eat them so shes given them to me for the girls even though the bag is completely sealed i dont know how old they are as theres no best before date on the bag will i still be able to give them to the girls .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Sparr0wman

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 17:50 »
i should of said things like pasta an rice  an sultanas that kind of thing  ,lol i never explain myself properly all the time

Pasta has egg in it! ( free range i hope ) ;)

karlooben

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 18:15 »
lol true

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 21:07 »
Meal worms are high in protein and fat so make an excellent treat but not too many because of the high fat level.

woodburner

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28 »
Are you saying that if they eat alfalfa there is less need for pellets/ mash.  mine will only eat pellets if they are starving (i.e. when it snows).  They prefer bugs and grass but i worry that they are getting what they need nutritionally.
Yes, it's high in protein, so they should need less processed feed. Mine turned their noses up at processed feed in the summer too, also worms! I take it as a sign that they have enough of everything they need. I started giving them pellets again as the grass ran out, and presumable also the bugs, and they do show more interest, but if I can dry some alfalfa for the winter, hopefully they will turn their noses up at the feed even in the winter. ;) I want to try them on field beans too. Another potential source of protein is peas but they are harder to grow.

I sypathise to an extent with the problems of what it is legal to advise, but there are still legal alternatives. Alfalfa, fresh grass, peas, beans, whole grains, even weeds, are all definitely legal, so too are trimmings from vegetables as long as they haven't been in the kitchen, (where they might possibly become contaminated with meat. ::) yes, even if you are vegetarian  :blink:  :wacko: )
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 14:00 »

I sypathise to an extent with the problems of what it is legal to advise, but there are still legal alternatives. Alfalfa, fresh grass, peas, beans, whole grains, even weeds, are all definitely legal, so too are trimmings from vegetables as long as they haven't been in the kitchen, (where they might possibly become contaminated with meat. ::) yes, even if you are vegetarian  :blink:  :wacko: )

I wonder if it is legal to put up an article on how chickens used to be fed before DEFRA decided to avoid contamination...

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

karlooben

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 18:12 »
now that would be interesting . what did chickens use to live on years ago ..... all scraps

xx
The foods chicks can eat.

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 12:13
by chooknewbie
xx
What foods should chickens not eat...

Started by jesschocolate28 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 13:26
by jesschocolate28
xx
List of foods and treats

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 10:48
by Junie
xx
Natural remedies

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 09:43
by jonesblack

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.