natural foods

• 22 Replies

greenfingers spain

natural foods
« on: March 03, 2009, 14:44 »
Having just read the two part article about feeding chickens we surprised that no mention was made of feeding ecological spare greens from the allotment, sunflower heads,dandelion feeds (no longer weeds) a and the like. These and a raw grain feed with grit are all our well laying hens and fattening hens get ...partridge and quail have the same for ease of storage.
Since all our our gardening is ecological we avoid formulated feeds with added chemical growth stimulants etc. Remember two much about my grandmothers good ways with her hens to follow the ways of local hen houses who now produce a chicken for killong in 42 versus 80 days of twenty year ago.
Authors and broadcasters related to holistic gardening in Spain.

woodburner

Re: natural foods
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 15:14 »
What two part article?

I think most people on here with chooks feed them scraps from the veg plot.
I want to grow alfalfa for mine when I have enough ground cleared, so that I can get away from processed feed. (No growith enhancers or hormones anyway, but it does have soya  >:( ) The wormery is coming on nicely though. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 15:26 »
Well I am not very green-fingered I'm afraid, and still learning about natural herbs like oregano,dandelion and the benefits for chickens. I also like sprouting grain in the winter as a boost (cant seem to do that very well either!!!) I do try an rear as naturally as possible.
If you have any info regarding natural grain mixes and herbs we would love to read it! :)

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 15:31 »
If you have any info regarding natural grain mixes and herbs we would love to read it! :)

Indeed!

I found the articles you refer to, greenfingers. Enough people already think bought feed is the only food they can give their chooks with the expert limitiing the choice to pellets or mash!  >:(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 16:32 »
He's referring to Feeding Chickens
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 17:12 »
Good articles btw. But also good to know about the free foods.

I think most of trust in pellets/mash but enjoy giving our hens some variety and extra boost from additional veg and what would otherwise be wasted.

But bear in mind that some foods such as sunflower seeds may need to be rationed so they don't become overweight or suffer from renal problems.

Rob 8)

staffschicks

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 18:36 »
Are you saying that if they eat alfalfa there is less need for pellets/ mash.  mine will only eat pellets if they are starving (i.e. when it snows).  They prefer bugs and grass but i worry that they are getting what they need nutritionally.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 19:27 »
feed my girls on a mix of organic layer pellets, organic layer mixed corn and anything going spare from the kitchen or garden. all still laying and looking good, even my new ex bats  :D

Alby
wish I was a cat

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 21:03 »
i read all that and most of it or some of it i have picked up from just being on this site but i never knew this '

--Since the catastrophic foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 Feeding kitchen waste is now illegal---

is this true
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 23:02 »
i read all that and most of it or some of it i have picked up from just being on this site but i never knew this '

--Since the catastrophic foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 Feeding kitchen waste is now illegal---

is this true
Yes and no - it's certainly illegal for any commercial operation. I mentioned the feeding of waste to hens in a book and there was much legal worrying and discussions with DEFRA. Basically Virginia is playing it very cautious. I would say that in a domestic situation where you are not selling eggs or meat chickens it is up to you although there is a theoretical increased risk of salmonella. My publisher (who are Virginia's) felt it safer to leave it at illegal rather than risk misunderstanding.

You have to be so blessed careful what you say now or some idiot sues you because they didn't use common sense.

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:27 »
u can say that again john . i have a dog with major probelms an walking him scares me senseless knowing that the slightist thing he does some one may sue me for it .

my girls get mostly fresh boiled food from the packet , an the only scrapes they get is freshly peelings , if anything is more then 24 hours old i dont give it to them , i have a few ppl that leave me old food on my doorstep an offer me week old food for them but i always turn the offers away as i am carefull with what they have .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 08:56 »

my girls get mostly fresh boiled food from the packet

What do you mean there karloo ?

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 11:56 »
 They prefer bugs and grass but i worry that they are getting what they need nutritionally.

Staffschicks,
If your girls prefer bugs and grass - even with layers pellets on offer - they are only doing what Nature intended.  Chickens originated from wooded areas and foraged,  before man took over.
cathangirl

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15 »
They prefer bugs and grass but i worry that they are getting what they need nutritionally.

Staffschicks,
If your girls prefer bugs and grass - even with layers pellets on offer - they are only doing what Nature intended.  Chickens originated from wooded areas and foraged,  before man took over.
cathangirl

Quite right Staffschicks - Bugs are full or protein and freshly growing young grass contains just about the same nutritional value as mash and pellets.  Just make sure they have a supply of grit and oystershell.

karlooben

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 17:26 »
i should of said things like pasta an rice  an sultanas that kind of thing  ,lol i never explain myself properly all the time

xx
The foods chicks can eat.

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 12:13
by chooknewbie
xx
What foods should chickens not eat...

Started by jesschocolate28 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 13:26
by jesschocolate28
xx
List of foods and treats

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 10:48
by Junie
xx
Natural remedies

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 09:43
by jonesblack

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 34 queries.