Rhubarb or Weed??

• 19 Replies

ruth82

Rhubarb or Weed??
« on: April 01, 2008, 23:04 »
Hi I took on my allotment in November and after what has been a long  winter of endless digging I have finally got it cleared.  However, in the last couple of months what looks like rhubarb has started to grow near my compost heap.  I spoke to someone at work about this and they said it is probably a weed and I should just dig it up.  How do I tell if it is a weed or the real thing? I've tried looking on the internet and not found anything.
By the way I don't even like rhubarb but it's just great to have something growing that isn't a dandelion!  :lol:
Rabbits are NOT cute

iwantanallotment

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 23:08 »
Can you get a pic?

Oh and welcome Ruth - just noticed this is your first post  :)

ruth82

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 23:12 »
Thanks, :)

I'll try and remember to take my camera next time I go, but if I had to describe it it kind of looks like rhubarb (!) coming out of something that looks the cross between a large bulb and tree bark.  Not really helpful I know, I'll send pics soon.

gobs

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 23:13 »
You should find plenty of rhubarb pictures to compare on google images.

It's often grown in utility area,'cos it will grow anywhere and we don't like it either, but it is hard to kill. :lol:  And not invasive so can be for friend and family, good when nothing else comes along, you still can boast with the weed. :wink:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 23:24 »
I love rhubarb but I think a lot of people make the mistake of eating it at too late in the summer.  I only eat it early in the season while it is young tender and sweet and before it has much oxalic acid in the petioles.

ruth82

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 22:32 »
Hi it's taken me a while but I finally remembered to take my camera to the allotment and this is what my rhubarb looks like...presuming it is rhubarb??!!

As I have said I can't stand the stuff but I have a few willing recipients lined up - but how do I know when to harvest it? It looks pretty huge to me already but I have no idea!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 22:34 »
That's certainly rhubarb!

I generally pull the stems when they are about 12" long, but you could get away with less.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vegmandan

Re: Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 22:40 »
Quote from: "ruth82"
I spoke to someone at work about this and they said it is probably a weed and I should just dig it up.

You are lucky to work with Stevie Wonder.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

compostqueen

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 23:00 »
:lol:

ruth82

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 23:14 »
Ha ha :lol: I might take some in for her when its ready just to show her what rhubarb looks like! Lesson for the future, trust my instincts!

Trillium

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 03:30 »
:lol:  :lol: That's probably why it was close to the compost pile. Couldn't imagine anyone letting burdock plants grow there. (looks similar to rhubarb).

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 07:28 »
oh lucky lucky you I wish mine looked that good, I love Rhubarb.  Sell it if you don't want it its so expensive in the supermarket and its got no flavour from there anyway.  Yours will be so yummy

ziggy

Re: Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:39 »
Quote from: "ruth82"
Hi I took on my allotment in November and after what has been a long  winter of endless digging I have finally got it cleared.  However, in the last couple of months what looks like rhubarb has started to grow near my compost heap.  I spoke to someone at work about this and they said it is probably a weed and I should just dig it up.  How do I tell if it is a weed or the real thing? I've tried looking on the internet and not found anything.
By the way I don't even like rhubarb but it's just great to have something growing that isn't a dandelion!  :lol:
:D we use it as ani weed ground cover.i think leaves can be used as fly killer too.

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 09:41 »
Rhubarb as an anti-weed cover? Do you mean the growing plant? Or the leaves? Explain please...

ruth82

Rhubarb or Weed??
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21 »
Anyone in the Cambridge area want some let me know, donations to Cancer Research  :)

xx
Weed infested raspberries and rhubarb.

Started by operabunny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 21:44
by Nobbie
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Weed I.D

Started by leeky on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 11:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
New weed - to me at least!

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2023, 11:16
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 39 queries.