KILLING A CHICKEN this post includes graphic images

• 20 Replies

Tessh

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 11:19 »
Thank you for the clear instructions.

The question is how long do you hang the bird for (and why)? I was going to have the cockerel for Christmas and I need to work out when to do it.

Thanks

muntjac

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 11:27 »
2 days before you want it  dont feed the bird in the morning .. kill and pluck..

the evening before your going to cook it  gut and clean etc singe the fine hairs off with a flame if you cant do that dont worry the oven will  
.then wash out well refridgerate   wash again before cooking .cook eat  :wink:

to cook it  shove smoked garlic up its bum put the whole bird in a  baco foil pocket / bag  with some herbs etc on its breast  on a 100c setting  for 2 hours  then half hour before you want to serve uncover turn the bird over on its back brush smoked garlic butter on it add a few more fresh herbs and put heat on high to crisp it .....KEEP AN EYE ON IT so its does'nt burn .. serve whole cut n eat  :lol: ...,DONT FEED THE BONES TO PETS  :shock:
still alive /............

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 09:03 »
Quote from: "muntjac"

to cook it  shove smoked garlic up its bum put the whole bird in a  baco foil pocket / bag  with some herbs etc on its breast  on a 100c setting  for 2 hours

I know Munty's not around to answer this, but surely it needs a higher temp than 100c - that's only the boiling point of water. I suspect a typo.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 09:50 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "muntjac"

to cook it  shove smoked garlic up its bum put the whole bird in a  baco foil pocket / bag  with some herbs etc on its breast  on a 100c setting  for 2 hours

I know Munty's not around to answer this, but surely it needs a higher temp than 100c - that's only the boiling point of water. I suspect a typo.

I think he means what he said DD.  

Protein denatures (cooks) at 80c as evidenced by slow cookers.  He is in fact using his oven as a slow cooker as he cooks his bird for ages.  This has the advantage of really tenderising the meat, which would not be necessary for your average tesco's  bird who have only lived a few weeks and not had much exercise to toughen them up, but an older free range bird would be tough if fast cooked.

If there's a typo it would be the time.  I think on other occasions he has said longer.

pegs

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 20:27 »
hi there - that is really helpful to see. We are about to kill our two male ducks. They have much thicker and more muscly necks than chickens and I have recieved advice to use an axe and a bag over their bodies. Our ducks aren't tame either and just roam around our garden as they will. Does anyone have any advice on remaining calm (even if they are being panicky)? :?  :shock:

Muntjac you also mention about hanging or plucking first. I am advised it is better to pluck first but is there a minimum amount of time that you should hang a bird (before eating it)?

Looking forward to any advice forthcoming as this will be our first time.

muntjac

killing a duck
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 10:17 »
:shock: sorry but ducks are not hard to kill with the hands  .it just takes a little more effort and the axe scenario is a NON starter .if you follow this simple advice you can do all birds up to turkeys if your unable to do it with the bird in your hands  use a sheds roof truss and take a length of rope allow sufficient rope 1/4 inch nylon will do the job to hang the rope over the beam and make a loop at the top secure it,  bring the loose end and make another loop and secure this over the ducks feet below the knee joint .tighen the loop so it does not slip . now take the ducks neck as shown in previos dispatching pictures apply a downward pressure with the fingers behind the head as shown and lean on the neck applying your body wieght ,this will seperate the neck killing the bird quickly and .,more humanly than an axe .this method would or could also result in your fingers joining the duck in the cooking  :roll:

xx
chicken Vs egg

Started by babe on Poultry FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 14:07
by Yorkie
xx
DIY chicken coop guidance

Started by poultrygeist on Poultry FAQs and other Information

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 17:45
by ElioraImmanuel
xx
Droppings - The Chicken Keeper's Guide

Started by Aunt Sally on Poultry FAQs and other Information

161 Replies
Last post March 20, 2021, 15:02
by Sanna
xx
Plucking and Dressing a Chicken for Cooking - with pictures

Started by Bodger on Poultry FAQs and other Information

24 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 19:39
by matron

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 41 queries.