What to do with council compost?

• 4 Replies

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
What to do with council compost?
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:56 »
I recently collected about 30 bags of free council compost. However it didn't seem to be fully rotted down as it was still abit smelly and warm with bits still in there. Another allotment holder said not to add it to my already rotting compost heap as it will destroy the goodness in mine. Not sure why so currently I have the bags stacked up in the corner. Any ideas why I can't add it to the heap?

prakash_mib

Re: What to do with council compost?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:02 »
yes and no if you want to take a plunge.
the council compost might contain never dying root bits (marestail) in them whereas your compost wont have it.
there is no problem in mixing it if you dare to take the risk. I always shy away from council composts for the very reason
 :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26 »
I can't see how it would destroy goodness in your compost heap  :blink:

But there are other reasons, as prakash says, for caution.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:39 »
I have had conflicting advice about using this stuff but on balance, as our soil is London clay, we use it.

I believe it has very little nutrients in it as it is heat treated but it is really good for soil improving. So far we have had no more weeds than were already on the lotty.

One guy said he wouldn't use it 'cos he had found bits of plastic and batteries in it. So far we haven't.

We have used it to top up the raised beds as we build them, (this is the royal we, as OH is  builder and digger, not me ;))

Built a raised bed loosened the solid clay, topped with a very goodly amount of either, chicken poo, or horse poo and then topped with the free compost and left the worms to do their stuff.

Have to say it makes a lovely mix to plant in and any weeds that get in there are a doddle to pull out. :D
Used the above method with fresh horse poo, too, to make hot beds for tender and hungry veg.

There were quite a few stick bits in it but it is easy enough to pull them out as you go. And the sticks work there way to the top in time so we pull them out later.

If all that is too much of a faff, why not mix it with some manure of some description and leave it to mature before you use it. It will improve the soil and feed it too because of the manure.

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 20:07 »
Thanks for you replies. Maybe I'll just leave it to rot further before adding to my compost heap.  It seems the safer option. x

clip
council compost

Started by luke34 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 20:51
by Thrutchington
xx
Council compost. Anyone using it?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 15:48
by lovemyveg
xx
Council Compost

Started by Scullion on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 20:04
by bailey
xx
Council compost

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 01:27
by muntjac

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.