coryza?

• 7 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
coryza?
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:26 »
the old chap further up the road has a poorly chook.

he has a swollen cheek which makes his eye look half closed and is watery. neighbour says that there is a cheesy smell coming from the bird. he also has a cheesy nasal discharge. i said i'd google it for him but is it coryza?

i don't want to alarm him but i know that it is highly infectious. he has seperated the bird but the old chap is getting on in years, can't get out much and would probably struggle with the vet bill.

he's at the stage where this is his last lot of chooks and will not replace when they die because he is becoming more and more house bound. any help with diagnosis would help. if its not a huge problem i might try to help with vet costs. however, this boy is old school so probably believes in necking than spending shed loads on a chook - especailly a boy.

please doante your advice oh wise ones.....don't want it to suffer longer than nessecary.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Sooz

Re: coryza?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:48 »
Mine chook who had the same problem just last week (her eye closed up completely) was given Metacam drops by the vet and she is completely better now.
I'm not young enough to know everything!

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 16:31 »
thanks sooz for some positive info..can't believe no one else has anything to contribute. i'm feeling sorry for the old boy.

can't ANYONE else help?

JACDORE

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 16:39 »
never come across such thing fortunately so cant advise.  Yes i'd get it to the vets if you can.  It wouldnt or shouldnt cost loads.  Hopefully someone else can help :)
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

JACDORE

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 16:41 »
Forgot to mention, didnt know Metacam can help as got some for cat and dog in drawer so handy to know i can use if needed on the hens. Our vet always uses Baytrill on most of our animals as an antibiotic.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 16:56 »
thanks. problem with vets is that they are not poultry people around here - i've had some really stupid advice....members will remember my ordeal with my brahma boy.

also, they charge £18.50 for a consultation and then medication on top - and i'm guessing they'll say treat all the birds just in case even though all the others are fine. he'll probably suffer a heart attack when they mention the cost....like i said, the old boy is old school and they are not pets but livestock.

i just don't want the bird to suffer and don't want it to spread down the road to my flock. i'd be devastated if that happened - i've upped my game on hygiene and precautions just in case.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 17:36 »
meta-cam and loricom are anti inflammatories and pain killers not antibiotics, I would still take yours to a vets for antibiotics.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sooz

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 21:55 »
The metacam was eye drops. We had to put just one drop in daily.
It worked amazingly quickly.  On the Sunday her eye was completely closed.  Took her to the vet on Monday and by Tuesday, the eye was partically open.  It just got better & better. If there is an infection though, she may need antibiotics as well though.
Good luck.  :)

xx
CORYZA????HELP

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 21:51
by Jellyhead
xx
Coryza Update

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 21:19
by ness
xx
is it Infectious Coryza ?

Started by marjory_chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 08:42
by joyfull
sad
Please help,some of my hens may have infectious coryza

Started by Missie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 15:08
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 40 queries.