Cane tops

• 55 Replies

Oliver

Cane tops
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:36 »
The time is fast approaching when things will need staking  - so lots of poles and canes on the plot. This is just a reminder to put something on top of the canes to prevent losing an eye! and persuade the kids not to collect all the pots  >:( ....

We use Benecol pots.  A friend's husband drinks a pot of the stuff (shudder :blink:) a day and she saves the pots for us, so we have loads and they fit perfectly.

In the poly tunnel (or greenhouse) they are very useful for staking tomatoes and other climbing produce.  Just canes horizontally and then tie Benecol pots to the horizontal cane (they are waisted, so have a perfect place for twine) the appropriate height above the hole in the grow bag. Stick a cane in the hole and slip the other end into the pot. Then when you come to transplant the plants, they go in front of the cane and you can use that Velcro-green tape or twine, or wire rings to fix the plant to the cane as it grows.  then when the time comes to dismantle the whole thing, just slip the canes out of the pots. No need to sturggle to untie knots, or cut the twine. Simple!

You can read about Benecol pots/stake tops and other mishaps with items on the plot at this old 'chat':
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=880.msg6993#msg6993
Oliver
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:58 by Oliver »
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Elcie

Re: Cane tops
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 13:10 »
Thanks to a suggestion on here from Ice, this is what I use:

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 13:14 »
I dug some play balls out of the garage to use too.. I got a marker pen and drew smiley  :)  faces on them all first  :lol:

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 13:30 »
Contact lens solution bottles for my canes...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 14:13 »
I've been collecting wine bottle corks for ages - I had thought to drill-a-hole for cane toppers.  What do you think?

Or is there a better use I could put the corks too (some of them are plastic ...)

dawnj

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 14:14 »
Elcie....why do you have string criss crossed at the bottom of your canes I'm doing my peas this weekend and getting my bed ready for my beans is this good what you have done... very nice pic

Brambles

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 14:35 »
Ooooooh Elcie... Looks like PARTY TIME :lol:     At the moment I am using empty coke tins, the canes slip through the 'ring pull' hole.... not as attractive as the ball idea though!

Green Goddess

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 15:08 »
what good ideas I can' wait to pimp my canes!

Oliver

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 16:55 »
I've been collecting wine bottle corks for ages - I had thought to drill-a-hole for cane toppers.  What do you think?

Or is there a better use I could put the corks too (some of them are plastic ...)
Drilling a hole is not a good idea - labour intensive and not enough cork, so the edges will be rather thin. Use something 'ready made' - there are more important things to be doing!! :D
better use for corks: when you have planted everything and are sitting back waiting for the harvest - make 'cork board', either for yourself to pin your notices, or for a Christmas present. Cut the corks in half lengthwise before sticking them on to a piece of wood. They look very nice and quite stylish.
Oliver (Do you want a picture?!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 21:30 by Oliver »

Oliver

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 16:58 »
Thanks to a suggestion on here from Ice, this is what I use:
Very pretty! but are they free? :D

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 19:51 by Oliver »

Elcie

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 19:05 »
Elcie....why do you have string criss crossed at the bottom of your canes I'm doing my peas this weekend and getting my bed ready for my beans is this good what you have done... very nice pic

For the peas to hold on to!  Someone suggested it last year and it worked really well for me.  You have to 'guide' them to the right place for a bit but they soon get the hang of it.  Of course, once they have grown a bit you have to do some more string a bit higher though!

Oliver - no they were not free, they were £4.99 for a pack of 100 which is a bargain when you consider I don't like Benecol!!

dawnj

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 19:53 »

good idea and it supports the canes too..ooh I'll be doing that. :D

For the peas to hold on to!  Someone suggested it last year and it worked really well for me.  You have to 'guide' them to the right place for a bit but they soon get the hang of it.  Of course, once they have grown a bit you have to do some more string a bit higher though!

Oliver - no they were not free, they were £4.99 for a pack of 100 which is a bargain when you consider I don't like Benecol!!

Oliver

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 20:02 »
Oh - don't blame you - the smell is bad enough - benecol  :blink: I've used those balls too (good value!), made a 'ball cage' out of them to protect the brassicas and lettuces. They worked very well for one season but the sun weakened them and they fell apart (We made 3 holes in them and put canes in the holes to make a frame works well for light weight things)
Like this
Oliver
Ball cage forum.jpg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 21:28 by Oliver »

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 20:10 »
Here's mine:

Elcie

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 20:38 »
Here's mine:

:) I love the smiley faces.  Now where is that board pen....

clip
Rasbury cane

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 19:50
by JayG
xx
Cane Advice

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 23:54
by cooperman
clip
Raspberry Cane

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 19:31
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberry cane help please

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 21:27
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 42 queries.