What's for tea? 2018

• 939 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What's for tea? 2018
« Reply #540 on: September 07, 2018, 19:06 »
HM minted lamb burger with sweetcorn cob and runner beans :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #541 on: September 08, 2018, 08:30 »
Sausages - found 6 lurking in the freezer.   Hate cooking them.  Whats the best way, so that either the oven isn't filthy and smelly, or the hob and floor splashed all over.

I use a frying pan with a lid (as I do for anything that might sizzle and spit excessively.) If you tilt the lid it keeps any mess inside but still fries rather than steams the food (cooks faster than with no lid too.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #542 on: September 08, 2018, 10:06 »
After all the talk of lamb I've been forced into defrosting some lamb shoulder steaks. I'd originally bought them to do lamb tagine but I think Id rather put them with gravy, mash and veg. Not sure if I should put them in the slow cooker on low now or on high later..  :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #543 on: September 08, 2018, 10:30 »
Not sure if I should put them in the slow cooker on low now or on high later..  :unsure:

I'd say low now with some root veg and stock to make fall off the bone lamb and gravy.  I always think shoulder meat benefits from slow gentle cooking.

I've been pondering the mac and cheese link you posted.  The kinchee one intrigues me as I have a hm batch in the fridge. but I've just seen a recipe for kimchee fried rice with a fried egg on top.  Tough decisions to make  :nowink:  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #544 on: September 08, 2018, 13:05 »
Sausages - found 6 lurking in the freezer.   Hate cooking them.  Whats the best way, so that either the oven isn't filthy and smelly, or the hob and floor splashed all over.  Wish I had left them where they were.  Plan to have them with red cabbage, dwarf beans and maybe some puy lentils.   Mrs Bouquet
I like to grill sausages and being a bit sad use a timer... 5 mins for side 1, 4 for the opposite side, 2 mins for a side and 1 minute then switch off the grill but leave for another minute for the opposite site. Timings spot on for our grill!
If frying I also use a saucepan lid on the frypan to stop splashing and it helps cook things through. Good for fried eggs too as the top of the egg cooks in the steam if the lid is on tight.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Lardman

« Reply #545 on: September 08, 2018, 17:42 »
I'd say low now with some root veg and stock to make fall off the bone lamb and gravy.  I always think shoulder meat benefits from slow gentle cooking.

I went the other way -It's still chewy  :( I'll be resorting to plan B again.

The kinchee one intrigues me as I have a hm batch in the fridge.

I'd read your thread and thought that might catch your eye  ;) You know my answer is always both when give a choice  :D  :tongue2:

madcat

« Reply #546 on: September 08, 2018, 18:19 »
I use a splatter guard for anything that might spit fat, both at home and in our campervan.  Keeps everything clean and lets the steam out.  This sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000TAULZU/ref=psdc_3000276031_t2_B000SIU9J6 although I think mine came from the local market!

Tonight is a soup night - celery, tomato and beetroot, with rye rolls for OH.  Should be a pretty colour!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #547 on: September 09, 2018, 23:37 »
We had lamb tonight - Texel from our fields. Hope it was the little bee who ate one of my heritage apple trees! Plus sweetcorn and French beans with roast potatoes - all our own. Also had redcurrant jelly but finished off the store bought jar first. Val made redcurrant jelly this afternoon from our redcurrants.

snowdrops

« Reply #548 on: September 10, 2018, 08:32 »
We had lamb tonight - Texel from our fields. Hope it was the little bee who ate one of my heritage apple trees! Plus sweetcorn and French beans with roast potatoes - all our own. Also had redcurrant jelly but finished off the store bought jar first. Val made redcurrant jelly this afternoon from our redcurrants.

Haha little B. Try gooseberry & mint jelly to go with any lamb, totally lush.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #549 on: September 10, 2018, 15:25 »
We had lamb tonight - Texel from our fields. Hope it was the little bee who ate one of my heritage apple trees!
It's the circle of life  :D I feel the same about the tree rats who eat my apples, sooner or later it's going to end badly for them. 

Deconstructed cottage pie tonight, ginger cake and custard for afters  :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2018, 19:24 »
I had plot beans, onions, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes and marrowfat peas - put them all in a saucepan with a few lamb meatballs and some red lentils - made a lovely thick soup/stew. Enough left for a few lunches as well, to go in the freezer  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2018, 19:48 »
It's miserable weather and Val's been making chutney so not feeling like much more cooking which is great as we settled on sausage, egg, chips and baked beans. Our eggs and chips but beans by Heinz :)

snowdrops

« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2018, 20:21 »
Chicken & ham pie in a mustard sauce,steamed potatoes,carrots & some frozen broad beans & a corn on the cob for me & baked beans for him

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #553 on: September 11, 2018, 00:14 »
Chicken & ham pie in a mustard sauce,steamed potatoes,carrots & some frozen broad beans & a corn on the cob for me & baked beans for him
SO you sat and ate all that whilst poor Mr Snowdrops just had baked beans? Cruel, very cruel :)

snowdrops

« Reply #554 on: September 11, 2018, 14:06 »
SO you sat and ate all that whilst poor Mr Snowdrops just had baked beans? Cruel, very cruel :)

You’re twisting my words or it’s fake news

xx

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 17:32
by greenjay
xx
RHS Chelsea 2018

Started by DD. on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 08:12
by rowlandwells
xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2018)

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

928 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 15:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fishing Season 2018

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

69 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 15:12
by Aled

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 56 queries.