Franchi Sementi - Spinach Merlo Nero

• 9 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Franchi Sementi - Spinach Merlo Nero
« on: April 08, 2011, 19:05 »
Bought 2 of these packs of Italian spinach last year. the variety is Merlo Nero. bought them becuase i liked the look of the big bubbly leaves and it's not a seed supplier i have come across before. Has anyone got experience of growing this variety of spinach or grown anything from them and would you recommend them?

Last time i grew them from a tray, planted them outside and it grew a tall stem from the centre rather than growing like it looks on the pack, thought i must have done something wrong. The pack does not have much meaningful instructions other than pictures, map of europe/middle east where its ideal to grow and roman numericals but it seems from the pics they can be sown directly outside, which i have done this time.

harvest from these last year was ok but i was a bit disappointed that it could have been better.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
PG

Nikkithefoot

Re: Franchi Sementi - Spinach Merlo Nero
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 19:16 »
When I have grown spinach in the past it will bolt for a pastime if it is allowed even to dry out a bit. They must be kept moist at all times. They also don't transplant particularly well, again especially if they are allowed to dry out.

I haven't come across this particular variety, but suspect it should be treated in a similar way.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 19:29 »
Franchi Sementi are Seeds of Italy :) and their seeds are brilliant.
On the back of the packet the small diagrams across the top give temp & depth for sowing, whether seed tray or direct, transplant date and harvest period. The roman numerals down the side are for the months of the year for planting...blue dots are for the correct ones for the UK :)

a rough guide to planting dates is given in the on-line description here, as well

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/203

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 19:34 »
Thanks Nikki, mumofstig

I was not aware what bolted meant until i did some googling. it seem last year when i grew these in a tray in the greenhouse they bolted some weeks later while in the tray and i planted them outside thinking its normal, no wonder they flowered so quickly. think early/mid spring might be ideal time to start growing these to prevent the bolting. Guess the ones i have sown now are pointless as we already have longer days.

I guess from the month diagram feb is a good time to start. if you say these seeds are brill then i'll hang on to them  8)

Ah well... guess you learn as you go on :lol: never mind

PG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 19:40 »
It takes a little while to get used to the diagrams, but have a good look at them and I'm sure you'll be able to work out the info you need.  :)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 19:45 »
Thanks,

Had a look at their website, and some seeds quite expensive  :blink:

quite interested in the tomato varieties they have. will keep a eye out for other Franchi packs where i got these.    ;)

thanks,
PG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 19:49 »
Their packs have huge quantities of seed in, which is great if you know you want to grow the same thing year after year, like the packs of mixed lettuces, so work out quite cheap........................ but that's not so good if you only want a few seeds to try :(

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 20:13 »
Yeah i did notice the amount of seeds per pack. its quite a generous lot and i think i will keep these and try to better grow them next year. I defo look more into their other seeds.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 23:40 »
They have a lovely selection of seeds and they are really fat, generous packets.  I grow loads of their stuff  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:55 »
Same here. Mizuna and rocket are excellent and I'm trying their Black Tuscan kale this year because I was disappointed with the T&M seeds last year.

xx
Franchi/Italian seeds

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 19:08
by mumofstig
xx
perpetual spinach - spinach beet

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:25
by viettaclark
xx
spinach beet, perpetual spinach

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:32
by viettaclark
xx
Help with FRANCHI pomodora red cherry tomatoes D B O

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 18:51
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 41 queries.