Franchi/Italian seeds

• 22 Replies

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
Franchi/Italian seeds
« on: June 28, 2010, 23:31 »
I was just wondering if anyone new whether these seeds are GM modified? Just because they always seem to grow so well and such healthy looking plants, I'm suspicious! I should probably just be grateful. I have looked on the packet, but most of it is in Italian and I don't suppose they would advertise the fact it was GM bred even if it was. I'd be interested if anyone knew. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Franchi/Italian seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:02 »
because they always seem to grow so well and such healthy looking plants
I agree with you  :)
Most of the seeds are just traditional Italian varieties..read the home page on their site.

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/index.php

EU rules, I'm sure, would make them say if the seeds were GM and there is nothing saying that on any of my packets (even after translation) ;)

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:13 »

Hubby is Italian, and says nothing mentioned about GM so have to agree with MOS on that one.
I always seem to do really well with Franchi as well, and I find you get loads of seeds. Just wish they were more readily available, had a complete nightmare tracking down sweetcorn as I had grown what I had left from last year & needed more, and of course they have to be the same because of cross pollination. Actually found a pot of them at Wyvale already grown & they are thriving even after transplanting to well chuffed! Would explain why Whyvale didn't have any packs on the shelf, obviously growing them to sell.
Postage from seeds of italy is way too expensive as is most online companys >:(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:29 »
If I remember correctly their p&p is only about £1.50 if you take the slow delivery option...
no help at all if you want them delivered tomorrow of course :ohmy:

but a  reasonable charge for your usual order IMO.... surely it would cost more to drive to the local garden centre ;)

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:50 »
Yes MOS I was in a rush  :)
14 day delivery £1.65, 7 days £2.99 & 3 days £4.99. IMO that is way too much for a packet of seeds that can be popped in the post with royal mail for not much at all. £1.65 I don't have a problem with but £4.99 for a 3 day delivery is a joke for a £1.85 packet of seeds!

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 14:04 »
Don't forget that when referring to Italian postage and they say slow they mean it!- Italian post office makes our look like the Worlds est!
When we were there on holiday last year I was naughty and bought some seeds from a market stall, and blooming heck they are good- rocket and basil with what looks like 95% germination!

And it tastes very very nice! :)
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 14:14 »
£1.65 I don't have a problem with but £4.99 for a 3 day delivery is a joke for a £1.85 packet of seeds!

Don't forget that most people order more than one packet of seeds. If you're ordering lots, it doesn't seem so bad.

Premier-Seeds-Direct also seem to sell a lot of Italian seeds at very good prices and cheap postage too.

madcat

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 14:22 »
Next time try talking nicely to your friendly independent garden centre/nursery.  Mine stocks some Franchi and will include others on request in his next weekly order to the wholesaler.  And then gives me the allotment society discount on top.  Lovely man and lovely place.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 14:46 »
Don't forget that when referring to Italian postage and they say slow they mean it!- Italian post office makes our look like the Worlds est!

I agree, but the seeds are Franchi brand seeds, imported from Italy and shipped from a UK warehouse ;)
SEEDS OF ITALY LTD
A1 PHOENIX IND EST
ROSSLYN CRES,
LONDON BOROUGH OF HARROW,
MIDDX, HA1 2SP

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 15:40 »
You never know the Uk distributers may be incredibly helpful and tell you where they are stocked local to you Sharonx.

They are good seeds.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 23:01 »
I could do a seed swap once everything goes over, I have quite a lot of Franchi produce!

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 23:37 »
I like their stuff as the packets are way bigger than normal. I usually get a shipping order
I like their leaf mixes and marmalade pumpkins, amongst other things

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 23:42 »
I have always found Franchi seeds great, plenty  of seed and healthy results.  As I always order well in advance the 14 day option is not a problem (they usually arrive in a week anyways!)

Regarding the GM query EU law states it must say so on the packet.  The only proviso is if a variety is labeled F1 then this could be GM but not too sure on that aspect, best thing is to ask Franchi by email - I have always found them good in replies to queries..
Death OR Cake ???

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 00:11 »
I have always found Franchi seeds great, plenty  of seed and healthy results.  As I always order well in advance the 14 day option is not a problem (they usually arrive in a week anyways!)

Regarding the GM query EU law states it must say so on the packet.  The only proviso is if a variety is labeled F1 then this could be GM but not too sure on that aspect, best thing is to ask Franchi by email - I have always found them good in replies to queries..

Lets not get confused on this.

F1 is a straighforward plant breeding technique where several strains of a plant are crossed to produce something superior.
GM is taking material from one plant species and introducing it into another species so that new characteristics can be introduced.

Keeping with the subject of Franchi seeds, I imagine that a lot of their seeds are old open bred varieties that do not need the cossetting that many of the varieties offered in the UK seem to require.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 10:05 »
I imagine that a lot of their seeds are old open bred varieties that do not need the cossetting that many of the varieties offered in the UK seem to require.

Quite so, just as their home page points out  ;)

xx
Sow now advice from Franchi Seeds of Italy

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 15, 2015, 22:17
by mumofstig
xx
Italian seeds

Started by firenze on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 19:43
by Caretaker
xx
Italian veg seeds?

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 23:22
by compostqueen
xx
Help with FRANCHI pomodora red cherry tomatoes D B O

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 18:51
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 40 queries.