Missing end of beak

• 4 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Missing end of beak
« on: November 30, 2016, 22:55 »
Our new Barred Rock Babs has lost the end of her top beak :ohmy:. Just noticed it today as she was roosting on the back of my chair with pecky. When I bought her about 4-5 weeks ago she had been wearing a beak ring, and I guess this may have caused this problem :unsure:. She seems ok, feeding etc and grazing on the lawn, laying every other day :).

Never had this happen before. Any advice folks or will it just grow back normally?

rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

LILLILEAF

Re: Missing end of beak
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:51 »
Hi
 If you bought this bird from a hatchery before she was sold to the person you bought her from,it is what they call de-beaking it stops feather pecking when they are in large groups,because the top part is shorter they cannot get a good hold of other birds feathers.
They are still able to eat and drink as normal as you can see she is in good health other wise laying lovely eggs for you.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:14 »
They can damage their beaks.  One of my dotties, Eddie of the dynamic duo Patsy and Eddie, has a permanent daffy duck effect on her beak as a result of charging into something as a youngster and snapping off the end of her top beak. 

As you can probably guess by their names, these 2 are not overburdened with brains and were even more daft as young hens  ::)  The beak will grow back and Babs will be just fine in the meantime  :)

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 23:16 »
Well I'm quite surprised ::) her beak has nearly grown back in 2 days :). I think what she did was peck the frozen water bowl and broke it, she is not the brightest bird of the three, but a lovelly friendly nature.

I did think that mother nature would not leave them beakless for too long. So all is well. :D

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 08:36 »
thats great i am very pleased that her beak has grown again,lets hope she does not do it again.

xx
what do i do with beak????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 21:24
by chickenlady
xx
Beak help

Started by MrsTruper on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:20
by Chookiechook
exclamation
Hen beak

Started by granigale on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 15:14
by joyfull
xx
I have a beak

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 14:40
by oddpaws

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 40 queries.