Help

• 12 Replies

MKD

Help
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:48 »
Hi all picked up our new POL hybrids a couple of days ago put them with our other 4 POL hybrids we already had into the new much larger 8 x6 coop.  left them all in for the day but kept a close eye on them for fighting etc
Thankfully they all seemed to get on fine' the electric door opener opened in the morning as planned and they all come out into the 4 metre x 3 metre run we had made ALL GOING WELL up to now
The hens went in and out the electric opener ok through the day then the skies opened and it poured down from midday until it was nearly dark the hens were soaked and most wouldn't go back in on there own we had to go out in the pouring rain and catch most of them put them through the hatch. They are all out ok this morning 5/11/16 but it's bonfire night WHY WONT THEY GO IN ON THERE OWN??? Any advise please
 :(  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 08:56 »
If it a new coop, they don't see it as home yet.  Put a torch in there this afternoon just as it is going dusky.  The light will encourage them in.  They should adjust after a couple of days.

My lot don't really react to fireworks.  They jump at their own shadows and set up a 'the sky is falling' hullabaloo on a regular basis, but don't even blink if some idiot lets off a firework during the day while they are out.  Go figure  :nowink:

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 12:12 »
They will be reluctant to enter if you've got red mite in the coop. However, whilst not impossible, unlikely at this time of year but it has been warm and you are in the south. Check using white paper dragging through nooks and crannies, if present there will be blood on the paper. It could just be the status quo has been disturbed, they will settle if that's the case.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

MKD

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 13:37 »
If it a new coop, they don't see it as home yet.  Put a torch in there this afternoon just as it is going dusky.  The light will encourage them in.  They should adjust after a couple of days.

My lot don't really react to fireworks.  They jump at their own shadows and set up a 'the sky is falling' hullabaloo on a regular basis, but don't even blink if some idiot lets off a firework during the day while they are out.  Go figure  :nowink:
Great idea thanks new shoot I will try that tonight I have a small led camping light I will put in there just hope nobody starts fireworks to early
Will let you know how it goes thanks again

MKD

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 13:40 »
They will be reluctant to enter if you've got red mite in the coop. However, whilst not impossible, unlikely at this time of year but it has been warm and you are in the south. Check using white paper dragging through nooks and crannies, if present there will be blood on the paper. It could just be the status quo has been disturbed, they will settle if that's the case.  :)
Hi sassy the coop is brand new and the hens have only been in there for 4 days in total so is red mite likely in that short time??? I will check with envelope anyway thanks for reply

MKD

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 18:34 »

Worked a treat thanks new shoot will do it for a couple of days

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 19:50 »
Glad it worked for you  :)  and for your chickens who got safely to bed before the fireworks  :)

grinling

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 21:24 »
Could you lock them in the run for a few days so they get the hang of the house?

MKD

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 22:09 »
Could you lock them in the run for a few days so they get the hang of the house?
Not really grinding our garden backs onto the south downs national park and the place is alive with foxes
Although my dog hates them and if he gets hold of one it will never kill another hen again he can't watch the garden 24/7 so they need to be locked safely away

MKD

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 22:14 »
Glad it worked for you  :)  and for your chickens who got safely to bed before the fireworks  :)
I'm so pleased there are sights like this where the more experienced give the newbies LIKE ME great advise and help. Maybe one day I can pass that bit of info onto another new chicken keeper and help them out THANKS AGAIN

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 09:21 »
If house new highly unlikely to have red mite. The advice to keep hens in the house for a couple of days is sound  :)

grinling

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 21:12 »
Confused... if the hens are not laying why are they going into the house during the day. My hens free range all day and only go into the house at night. Food and water are in a run area which the house is in and the run area is covered to protect it from wind and rain.
Chickens will either shelter in the garden under a bush or in the polytunnel.

This is why I suggested keeping them in the run area which should be secured from rats/foxes etc until they will return under their own will or with corn treats. There is a pecking order for going into a house and the older hens might be stopping the newbies. This happens in commercial free range houses.

MKD

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 13:42 »
Confused... if the hens are not laying why are they going into the house during the day. My hens free range all day and only go into the house at night. Food and water are in a run area which the house is in and the run area is covered to protect it from wind and rain.
Chickens will either shelter in the garden under a bush or in the polytunnel.

This is why I suggested keeping them in the run area which should be secured from rats/foxes etc until they will return under their own will or with corn treats. There is a pecking order for going into a house and the older hens might be stopping the newbies. This happens in commercial free range houses.
Hi grinling there is only one hen laying at the moment the hens go in the hatch then a few seconds later walk out again it's now been about 4 days and things seem to be settling down a bit they are going in when it's virtually dark All the hens were put in the new coop together the 4 we already had lived in a much smaller coop so when we got the new 8 we put them altogether into the new coop so they were all new to the new surroundings and left them there until the next day. As regards a roof on the run it's to big to do that but what I might do is put a roof on some of it. And will let them roam the garden as well later on
What you said about dominant hens is already happening one of our light sussex and our only goldline seem to rule the roost not certain which one will finally end up top dog we will have to see but thankfully the other 10 are not getting bashed up by the 2 top hens they just seem to except there place
Thanks for advice grinling

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 40 queries.