Bromley Cottage Chickens

• 28 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Re: Bromley Cottage Chickens
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 10:15 »
Very exciting news today!
It turns out there's a chicken breeder only 10 minutes away from my new house!

http://www.staffordshirechickens.co.uk/

The wife's going to explore today and with any luck they'll be 2 new ladies waiting for me when I get home :)

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 10:49 »
The good news keeps flying in for my ladies today, Ive just had shipping confirmation on my fence posts and 50m of chicken wire :D
Hopefully the'll be some progress on the free range paddock this weekend, ill definatly have to get the hedge cut back during the week!

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 13:45 »
The good lady wife has just sent me some pics, we now have 2 Staffordshire Leghorn Stars to add to the flock :)

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 13:46 »
Whats out here I wonder.....?
newgirl1.jpg

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 13:46 »
New diggs
newgirl2.jpg

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 14:04 »
They really look great :)
newgirl3.jpg

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 14:05 »
Ruler of the roost :D
newgirl4.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 11:59 »
Very pretty  :)  Best get that run extension going  ;)  :lol:

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 22:03 »
Don't want to seem negative regarding the run but chicken wire will not keep foxes or badgers out. You would be better with weld mesh to keep predators out. We are plagued with foxes here and there have been a few rabbit hutches raided and rabbits taken. Hope this helps. Geo

Beekissed

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 05:28 »
Pretty girls!!!  I'm so glad you are setting up a free range situation....chickens weren't meant to live their lives in a pen and it's always sad to see them in such a thing. 

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 09:31 »
I know the whole fox thing is a huge issue when keeping chickens but the girls will still be locked in there coop at night and left to free range during the day to increase safety. I asked the chap in the next cottage over who free ranges ducks and this is how he does it. They free range round the farm and cottage land all day then come home when its dark, not tempting fate but he’s never had issues with fox’s in this area.
I really want to move to the free range option to give my ladies the best possible quality of life, their safety is of course my primary concern.
If anyone has any practical experience in free ranging I’d love to hear some tips!

Sassy

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 10:40 »
I know the whole fox thing is a huge issue when keeping chickens but the girls will still be locked in there coop at night and left to free range during the day to increase safety. I asked the chap in the next cottage over who free ranges ducks and this is how he does it. They free range round the farm and cottage land all day then come home when its dark, not tempting fate but he’s never had issues with fox’s in this area.
I really want to move to the free range option to give my ladies the best possible quality of life, their safety is of course my primary concern.
If anyone has any practical experience in free ranging I’d love to hear some tips!

Electric fencing :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beekissed

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 11:21 »

Here's all of my tips for successful free ranging:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 11:57 »

Thanks Bee!
This is great!
Although I don’t condone plagiarism I have to admit I’ve copied this to word and printed it off so I can read it with a cup of tea properly!  :D

Here's all of my tips for successful free ranging:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging

xx
Run for a Boughton Chicken Coop by Forsham Cottage Arks

Started by Squiffy59 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 19:32
by spud
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 37 queries.