Pumpkin soup

• 4 Replies

Annie

Pumpkin soup
« on: October 28, 2006, 22:42 »
I made pumpkin soup last year,I couldn`t find a reciepe so made it up and like afool didn`t write down what I did.Has anyone ealse got a reciepe because I will be carving one out soon.

As a kid,many moons ago I seem to remember that it was turnips that we carved into lanterns which we also used on bonfire night by which time they looked(satisfyingly to a child)like a little shrunken head,whatever happened to those innocent things of yesteryear,except I also remember eating loads of turnip so perhaps pumpkin is best.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Pumpkin soup
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 22:51 »
going to attempt pumpkin carving for the first time this year - how much of the flesh can i take out to eat?  is it simply as much as you can without the pumpkin collapsing in on you?

was planning on putting it in some pasta - ravioli maybe - but seen as i have 2 pumpkins (can't decide on one design!) i guess i could make soup as well!

Annie

Pumpkin soup
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 23:01 »
I think it depends on the size of pumpkin,I think I got down to3/4inch last year on a 10 inch diameter pumpkin.IIf you scoop too much the light shines through in patches,anyway one pumpkin would have been to much for raviolli unless you have a small army to feed.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Pumpkin soup
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 23:28 »
well i've got a couple of tesco's "large" ones - i'd be interested to see their small or medium ones........ - large isn't exactly large - well compared to some pumpkins!

muntjac

Pumpkin soup
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 23:57 »
leave 2 inches or so around a pumpkin that is 12 inches diameter. less for smaller ones.
my fave yank recipe
1 sugar pumpkin or butternut squash (about 2 lb.)

•1/2 cup. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for baking sheet

• 4 tbsp. ( 1/2 stick) butter

• 1 large onion, finely chopped

• Salt

• pin and a half . vegetable broth, divided

• 1 small carton double  cream

• 1/3 c. amaretto,

pack . crushed amaretti cookies (without sugar on top)

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and set a rack on middle level. Line a baking sheet with aliminium foil, grease it and set aside.

Peel pumpkin or squash and cut it into small (about 1-inch) pieces. Remove and discard seeds. Spread pieces on baking sheet in a single layer and roast, stirring only once, for 10 to 20 minutes, until almost tender.

Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, warm olive oil and butter. Add onion and pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, for about 7 minutes, or until totally wilted. Add pumpkin or squash and 4 cups vegetable broth to onion mixture.

Simmer until pumpkin or squash is completely soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream, amaretto and amaretti. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes. Transfer soup (in batches) to a food processor fitted with a metal blade and purée. Return to pot and stir in 1/2 pintvegetable broth, or more to taste. Taste and add a bit more salt, if you want to
still alive /............

xx
pumpkin soup

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 18:34
by snowdrops
xx
Pumpkin soup

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 13:24
by chickchick
xx
Pumpkin Soup

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 12:51
by arugula
xx
Spicy pumpkin soup

Started by agapanthus on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post November 01, 2007, 23:26
by muntjac

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 38 queries.