Physalis Peruviana. Taste?

• 19 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Physalis Peruviana. Taste?
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:43 »
OK - thinking of trying some of these next year - Cape Gooseberries, Inca Berries, Golden Berries - call them what you will. But - what do they taste like? I read differing reports as to sweet/tart. I hear the smaller version of the plant produces sweeter berries. I'm going to try it anyway - always looking for something a little different.  But - anyone got any comments on the taste of Peruviana?   :wub:
Carpe Diem

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Physalis Peruviana. Taste?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:58 »
I've only had success with the larger variety - I like the taste of its berries - they are a little sharp but I'm not quite sure what to describe the taste as... its perhaps got a hint of an extremely tart pineapple.... mixed with something else, but what?

Not much help eh!

Pip pip,
Balders

Flowertot

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14 »
I have never grown them but I think they are delicious dipped in icing as an after dinner treat  :)

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:59 »
Many thanks. Now, Baldy - how do you grow them? In a GH? Out in the open? Have you over-wintered them or do you grow them as an annual? WOT fun!!   :D

Audy70

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:15 »
I grew them for the first time this year; they are tart and as Balders said, there is something else but can't really describe it. I'm planning to try them again next year, even though no one else in my family likes them  :(

Mine are outdoors and have done well, they are very sprawling and I love the texture of their leaves. If I had a greenhouse, I'd definitely overwinter them.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:47 »
I think they must be an acquired taste. I grew them 2years ago and no-one in the family liked them. Have not tried again.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07 »
Many thanks. Now, Baldy - how do you grow them? In a GH? Out in the open? Have you over-wintered them or do you grow them as an annual? WOT fun!!   :D

I've done both - initially from seed and then managed to overwinter two plants in my unheated GH this year.
I first grew them in the GH from seed - one plant was particularly vigorous and took on a triffid like aspect  - lots and lots of fruit from it but it overwhelmed the GH and the tomatoes. This year I took it out of the GH once the last frosts had gone and its in the garden - doing ok but not as fruitful. Seemed to be ok in a supermarket flowerbucket...

Pip pip,
Balders

jambop

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:31 »
Grow like a weed down here in my garden and I don't like them much so I had to go about eradicating them :)  I think they are perennial so if you can make sure that they don't get frosted you can keep them going. The taste is sweet with a lingering bitter after taste, to my taste buds but we are all different ... you may like them :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:49 »
I've grown them a couple of times outside on the plot.   They are big plants that need room, but we had loads of fruit the second time around.  The first time, we had a poor summer and although lots of fruit set, none ripened in time before autumn storms blew in and flattened the lot, so they can be a risk outside.

The taste is sweet and sharp at the same time and it is hard to place.  Its almost melon, mixed with pineapple, but with a tangier flavour of something like a tomatillo  :wacko:

I liked them, but OH was not keen.  He did like them in salsa though.  They are one of those fruits you can make into something savoury and it works  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:51 »
I believe that Pysalis can be very invasive so a bucket sounds a good idea!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 12:55 »
If the berries get at least half-size before the frosts, the berries will ripen slowly off the plant indoors or on the plant if pulled up and left in the shed.

I really like them - I have small plants in pots this year (seed courtesy of Baldy) and will try overwintering. I prefer the big version to the dwarf one. The dwarf variety really is a lot sweeter, and tastes to me rather like honey with a slightly tart tang. The dwarf ones will give you a lot of fruit outside within the season.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 13:03 »
I believe that Pysalis can be very invasive so a bucket sounds a good idea!

You are thinking of the ornamental one GG - Physalis alkekengi.  That is a hardy perennial and does spread a bit.  I've grown it before.

The ones LottieLouis is talking about are killed off by winter frosts  :)

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 13:17 »
Crikey - I think I shall start calling it 'The Marmite Plant'...You either love it or...you know!
I think I'll give it a go - what is there to lose? If it turns out to be really tart - I'll jam it!   :wacko: :wub: 

Headgardener22

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 16:07 »
The one thing I've found with Physalis is that you have to wait until they are/ are almost falling off the plant. I've taken to putting weed suppressant fabric around the base of the plant and then picking them up from there. That way they are sweeter. If you pick them even slightly underripe, they are much more tart.

JoshP

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 21:22 »
Grown them for the last 2 years and love them. The taste can be tart if they are underripe. As already mentioned, wait for them to drop off and then eat them as they are much sweeter. Just don't feed them any nitrogen as they will produce far too much leaf and barely any fruit.

xx
Physalis

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 03, 2011, 13:22
by lazza
xx
blight on physalis?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 09:56
by mumofstig
xx
Physalis or Cape Gooseberries

Started by Veggie Virgin on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 22:29
by sclarke624
xx
Physalis or cape gooseberry ??

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 19:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 39 queries.